IGNORED

Imagine my surprise....

litteacher

I am MOST definitely going to become a paid member..... that is a no-brainer!

I figured that. I was just thinking that members get tech library and some other things?? Not sure because I was never a trail member!! I think you will fit right in just watch out for those warped one around here!! Some of them will try to tell you things. Like a 2nd Gen is faster than a 1st Gen and all kinds of Tall Tales!!! And it is a requirement that you like Ice Cream!!! If it were not for Dairy Queens so the first Gen riders can stop and wait for the 2nd Gen riders we could never ride as a group!!! The Tech Library does have a ton of info. And if in doubt ASK!! We got all kinds of answers. And even some right ones once in

a while!!

:) well.. I hate to pick sides so early in my time here in the forum, but I guess I do ride a 1st Gen.... :) I think if it comes to speed, I won't be turning to my Venture to scratch that itch... I'll pull my Hayabusa out and burn down some twisty roads! I appreciate everyone's hospitality in this forum already. It is apparent to me that you guys (men and women) really love motorcycles and that is all I need to know. It is the most amazing sport in the world. Thanks again!

The nicest guys on the planet are right here! I have 3 or 4 sets of side bags, fairs etc, I have 3 parts bikes and 1 runner. You have some VERY smart guys here, some are engineers, some are designers, I am ALWAYS impressed with the people here. BTW 3M has some plastic repair products you might look into at your local body shop supply jobber. BEST 12 bucks I ever spent on my bike is right HERE. There is a on line factory service manual (FSM) you can down load here on the site.

Check out this old thread of when my bike was written off. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?28291-0n-the-road-again All the repairs were done using Plastex also sold by aircraft spruce under the name Plasti-fix. I embedded fiberglass drywall tape as reinforcement. It weld the plastic builds up the plastic forms tabs and sands as smooth as a babys bum. check particulaly post #1 and #15. That was in 2008 and its still holding together.

This is just the inspiration I needed Saddlebum.... those pictures you took were awesome and the repairs look great. Like you , I plan on trying to salvage all of the plastic I can on my motorcycle, but like yours, mine is rough... many cracks and missing tabs! I'm more than happy with a paint job that looks nice from ten feet away. :)

• 3 weeks later...

FYI the left side fairing is actually made up of two halves joined together with plastex / plastifix and no one yet has been able to spot were i joined them. Also if you notice the white tabs are formed from white plastex /plastifix using the mold block and reinforced with fiberglass dry wall tape .

TIP 1 If you fold clear packing tape over your finger you can use your finger to really smooth out the plastex as it does not stick to the tape were it will stick to the naked finger and not smooth out well.

TIP 2 back all your V'd out joints and cracks with the packing tape to keep it from running out the other side.

TIP 3 The ratio of activator to powder is not important as the it does not affect the final out come. Less activator gives you a stiffer mix for working and more activator gives you more flow.

TIP 4 when doing large fills wet the surface with activator 1st, then start applying the powder and activator in layers keeping it wet until you have fully filled the repair

TIP 5 Don't worry about small holes or imperfections. Simply build up with more plastex (no need to sand between applications unless you are trying to even something out or from something.

TIP 6 Don't worry about building the plastex up too much it sands beautifully.

TIP 7 Don't waste money on spot putty the plastex is its own perfect spot putty. Just apply and sand as needed.

TIP 8 Make sure you have a roll or two of packing tape. It is your most usfull tool. for backing gouged out cracks, holding pieces together or wrapping over the end of your finger to smooth out the plastex, as plastex will not stick to it.