IGNORED

pumping up venture suspension

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: Only operates in ACC position. But don't think it should sit that low without air.:think:

I never had my '88 so low I couldn't get the kickstand down and I didn't know it was possible but it sounded weird to me too.

didn't see any compressor on the bike. there is a air valve on the side of the crank case. Had the wind knock it over. is there a away to raise the suspension

Have you attempted to adjust or hear the air compressor with the motor off and the key in the accessory, or middle position?

Do you have a working display on the right side of the fairing where the air ride suspension is controlled?

p.s. It shouldn't function while the key is in the on or running position. Put the key in the center acc position and see if your display is showing any psi. Switch between front, back, automatic or manual with the appropriate button.

Edited by H2O

You may not have air pump!! The valve for the rear you found add about 30 lb to start with. Most ride around 40 in the rear. When you find the valves for the front be very carefull. You can blow these and cause damage with too much air!! Only about 7 lb in these. You will find valves under caps around the steering neck to the left of ignition switch. Do NOT PUT over 14 lbs in these.

You may not have air pump!! The valve for the rear you found add about 30 lb to start with. Most ride around 40 in the rear. When you find the valves for the front be very carefull. You can blow these and cause damage with too much air!! Only about 7 lb in these. You will find valves under caps around the steering neck to the left of ignition switch. Do NOT PUT over 14 lbs in these.

So not all the '88 Royales had built in compressors? I did not know that. Mine still works great, but the part he stated about his bike sitting so low he can't get his kickstand down seems odd. What's up with that?

I have an 88 standard. It took me a long time to convince some people that it even exists.

I have no CLASS.

If there is no air in my shocks with the bike on the side stand it will fall over to the right.

If the air pressure is under 30 in the rear, I have to lean the bike to the right well past center to lower the side stand.

All of your issues sound pretty normal to me.

I ride all one up, I run 10 psi front, and 45 psi rear with the damping set on 2.

The front Schrader valve is found next to the right front fork tube from the bottom side of the faring.

As mentioned the suspension uses very little air, do not use a hose from an air compressor to adjust suspension or you stand a good chance of blowing out the seals. Use a small hand pump. Sounds like you already found the valve for the rear.

My rear shock won't inflate for some reason so my bike has the same problem, on the side stand the bike is almost vertical and the center stand is a pipe dream my bike sits way too low and rides like a boat. I hope a replacement shock fixes the problem only the new shock is about 11 1/2" unsprung, but the best I can tell the spring on the bike's full weight is around 11 1/2" so there might be something else going on with mine

You may want to check for a broken wishbone. I had the same issue on my 83. Had it welded and the issue was fixed. Bike just slowly became a low rider and there wasn't a snap or breaking sound at all. I'm guessing you may have the same issue.

Gas tank will need to be removed for safety.

You may want to check for a broken wishbone. I had the same issue on my 83. Had it welded and the issue was fixed. Bike just slowly became a low rider and there wasn't a snap or breaking sound at all. I'm guessing you may have the same issue.

Gas tank will need to be removed for safety.

This could be the "Broken Frame " we were talking about? Did it ever start hitting the tire??? How much do you weigh?? Do you have any pics of that??

This could be the "Broken Frame " we were talking about? Did it ever start hitting the tire??? How much do you weigh?? Do you have any pics of that??

There wasn't any visible signs until the bike was placed on a hoist. It lowered to the point there was no chance of putting the bike on the center stand as it hit the ground after only about 2 inches of movement. It wasn't an expensive fix, but you do need to find a mechanic that has the ability to weld. The brake happened just in front of where the rear shock attaches. The frame simply was folding in the middle. Shock still worked, and would raise and lower the bike, but all settings came in about 2-3 inches lower than normal. Once fixed, I never had any future issues with the bike. Frame broke around 250,000 km on the odometer.

This was about 15 years ago. I put over 380,000 km on my 1983 Venture Royal so chances are, I've experienced everything you have or will with yours.

I'm 6' and about 200 lbs. Riding mostly solo with the shock pressure at medium on the rear, and light on the front. Pulled a Bushtec trailer for about 100,000 of those Kilometers.

My final voyage was back in 2007 when the entire transmission just fell apart after getting it running in the spring. I had a friend push me to get it going as there was no clutch, and road it to the shop. There I was told the bad news. Without a complete rebuild of the transmission the bike would never run again. No sense in doing that without rebuilding the motor at the same time. Far too much money to put into an old bike. The 83 Venture was the best bike I've owned. Now riding a 2007 Royal Star Venture. Not quite as sporty as the original venture, but it's even more comfortable. I only wish it had a fixed fairing and the new Royal Star would be perfect.

Past member of the VTS - Chapter 3 - Ontario