IGNORED

Bike not shifting properly

easternrider

My bike was working fine until now. Had to fix exhaust leak yesterday, so had all the pipes off. While I was under it, I was looking at the oil that had built up, as I have a small leak somewhere. So, I thought I would clean some of it up. I grabbed a can of brake cleaner, and started cleaning. While I was spraying, I noticed around the shifter, kick stand area a bunch of tiny pebbles that were dislodged from somewhere underneath. Just kept spraying till all was relatively clean. When done, I used the air gun to dry up the spray quicker. When I was done, I took it for a run. For starters, it would not shift into 1st gear. Stopped it, played with the shifter, and then it seemed to be fine. Away I went. Thought I would get it on the highway. While speeding up, the next problem was that it now would not shift into 4th gear. Wouldn't even jump over to 5th. I am thinking that somehow the tiny pebbles are jammed up into the shifter somewhere. Any thoughts? I wouldn't think that brake cleaner could do anything that would prevent me from shifting. 1st 2nd 3rd gear are fine, but can't get into 4th. Going to take a few things off and have a look.

Well, here is what I found. Took the middle gear cover off, and ran through the gears, or as far as I could. It appears that the inside spline link is hitting the engine when I try to shift into 4th gear. All the clamp bolts on the splines are tight, and don't seem to have slipped. My only conclusion, is one of the swivel ball connectors may have slipped. Other than that, I don't know what to think.

Thanks. This sounds very likely to be the cause of my problems. Not sure how to link to another thread, but there is a good write-up on this if you look up "1984 venture royal" started by rwhitehead

PS: Now I have another question. When you remove the middle drive gear cover, you lose a bit of oil. The manual says not to lose any oil when removing the cover. Now that it is bolted up, will I have more problems, or will the oil find its way back in there?

Edited by easternrider

The oil you lost was minimal, but it will be replenished when you start the bike up. With the bike on the center stand, start it up and let it idle for a couple of minutes. Then shut it off and let sit for a couple of minutes and check the oil. It probably will only be slightly lower.

Thanks for the advice on the shifter segment. Opened it up the other day, and to my surprise, it did not have the original clutch plates in it. Must have been upgraded. Anyway, when I looked at the face of the segment, sure enough a pin was missing. I already borrowed what I was going to need from the parts motor, so for now, all is good. Now, I just need to order replacements parts.

If that pin finds its way to the wrong place it can do a LOT of damage.

I wonder if one could use a very strong magnet thru the aluminum to catch and move the pin to where it can be pulled out, either thru the side cover or the drain plug. I would for sure at least install a magnetic drain plug so that if the pin does roll there it will be captured and not able to get to a bad place.

I am not familiar enough with the shape of the bottom of the motor to know if it is possible for the forces of acceleration, braking and cornering to move the pin into the transmission or any other gears.

Ditto on finding it.

I had a buddy drop a needle bearing from a wrist pin set once (RD400). I insisted we tear the engine back down until we found it. He insisted it wasn't in the engine.

His engine so he won and we put it back together. We only got about 25 miles before his bike made a big "BWAHHHH" sound and he dropped back into my two stroke smoke wake.

It kept running, so we made it back home. On teardown we discovered the subject needle bearing was indeed in the engine and had found it's way up into a cylinder bore and jammed the bejebus out of the piston and bore. Suffice to say: you didn't need a measuring tool to know the bore was buggered.

Welcome to another fresh rebuild.....