IGNORED

Casset deck repair?

Geobob

Yes I actually want to repair my cassette deck. My left or right cannel does not work. I have both a smart phone and sirrus radio have output jacks that a cassette adapter can plug into. Both cannels used to work and the cassette adapter was a good solution since I prefer to keep the stock radio in the bike. It all seems to still work fine except for this problem. The FM transmission to the radio works good from the old sirrus radio since it transmit for a hundred yards or more (they have since tuned them down). The cell phone fm transmitter does work nearly as well. Dropping a cassette adapter into the player would be a good option since I don't mind running the wire over to the cell phone.

Buying a new used deck seems like a costly and questionable option since they are all a bit worn looking.

So has anyone tried to get the cassette deck from their bike (1988) repaired.

Bob,

You can look it over yourself. Since the decks are "almost" indestructible, I would first check out the wiring and plugs. Looking for breaks in wires...ie...no continuity using an ohm meter between a connector pin and the other end inside the deck.

Second, pull the deck out, take off the top and check continuity with an Ohm meter between the plug in the deck and the circuit board...look closely for cracks in the circuit board. Check between the outputs of the board where the connector is backwards at all solder points...tracing the path of the signals. The idea here is to try and find a broken trace on board. If you do find one, it's easily repaired by soldering a jumper from solder point to solder point. Looks ugly but works.

I never found a schematic for the deck itself...maybe someone else has. But I was able to repair my cassette deck by checking each solder joint closely.

BUT, before I would do anything else...I would check out the adapter. That is the cheapest and most likely point of damage.

The cassette deck info I gave first to let you know you can do repair the deck if need be.

Good luck...let us know what you find.

david