IGNORED

1st Generation; radio won't switch to FM

I've got an 1988 Venture Royale, but the stock am/fm radio will only stay on am and not switch to fm. Bought two stock replacement units off ebay that Sellers promised would tune both am & fm. However, installed each and neither will switch over to fm. Anyone have a solution?

If memory serves, the control panel is a sealed unit. But I would still take the control panel out and spray some electrical cleaner in the am/fm button area...working the button. I would also spray the multi-pin contacts the panel sits into...both sides.

Then look carefully at the cables between the control panel and the radio unit connections that the unit plugs into (ones you just cleaned). Last, check the wires between the bottom connectors and the wires going to the radio.

I find it hard to believe three radios are bad....hence the suggestion to check out the panel itself. These units were very well built...as evidenced by the fact that they still work 25 years later.

Let us know what you find...

david

The buttons are prone to problems. There are two areas to look at:

1) The button itself may be sticking in the housing. Check and make sure it pops back up after you press it. I had that problem with one of my CB buttons and some cleaning and WD40 solved it.

2) The switch itself may be dirty. Underneath the buttons is a molded rubber piece, and under that the switches are mounted to a circuit board. The switches are not sealed and it's easy to spray electronics cleaner in them. That solved the problem with my MEM radio switch. I don't recall exactly how I got in there, but it wasn't too difficult.

• 4 months later...

Generally good advice. I ran onto something else a couple of years ago, with something in the dash. Can't remember if it was speedometer circuit or cruise control. The problem turned out to be a cracked joint in solder on a circuit board. Very hard to find, and was eventually spotted with a strong magnifying hand-lens. The solder used on the old bikes (and may still be used) was a very hard mix. Resoldering with rosin-cored solder (don't use acid-core) fixed it. I use a butane-powered pencil solder heat tool, which also keeps the possible static of electrical guns and pencils away from such circuits.