IGNORED

Hard Starting

I started a new thread because I thinkthis will be a long drawn out repair. I have a problem with my '83Venture Royale not starting. It attempts to start sometimes and mayeven run for a few seconds then quit. I went through the Tech forumand spent much time checking out symptoms and solutions. Then I wentto work methodically checking piece by piece. So far I found; 1 badsparkplug that wasn't firing (I have 4 new ones to put in), the air filter housing filled withsunflower seeds and shells, a diaphragm assembly that was completelyapart and who knows what else that mouse got into. I am also in theprocess of eliminating the YICS system using stainless steel bolts asa plug. The diaphragm assembly slider and the metal sleeve had somekind of residue on them which I scraped off. The slider was bindingduring the last ¼” when I attempted to insert it into the carbport with the sleeve.

My questions at this point are;

1. Is there an alignment between the slider and the diaphragm relative to the tab and hole in the slider? If not, what's the purpose of the tab location ?

2. Can I use 1000 grit wet sandpaper to take off a smidgen at the end of the slider and then polish it with Plastix of Flitz for a better fit? Has anyone ever found this to be necessary?

3. What's the best way to fasten the metal sleeve into the slider? After cleaning it's no longer a tight fit.

Hopefully when I get all this corrected it will start, if not, I'll be back.

Thanks,

F Pinetum

Replace the slide is the best option.nthe slide is plastic and the carb aluminum so they shouldn't be a "wear fit", or at least a new slide will wear to the carb not vice versa. repairing the slide is pretty much a recipe for frustration.

however, you've also got not much to loose shaving the end of the slide (assuming you're taking about the diaphragm end) as if you ruin it you'll be replacing it anyways.

Some have used silicone or crazy glue to hold the diaphragm slider sleeve in place. Don't use silicone that smells vinegar-y as it will attack the diaphragms and I've never been comfortable with the crazy glue idea. Could be nightmare if it ever has to come apart again.

The diaphragm tab is to align the diaphragm and the slide should have the larger hole in the end at the bottom. The tab (in theory) should hold these parts in alignment.

Although, I've run mine with the slide hole out of position with no noticeable effects so maybe it's all bs....dunno.

Edited by Great White

Well so far things look good. I discovered that the metal insert was slightly out of round and when I resolved that the binding was less. I used 400 grit wetsand to whittle away just a smidgen and polished it with Flitz. Put everything back together and it started quickly. So far it appears to run well but will take it out tomorrow and do a test ride.

Thanks for your help.

Frank