IGNORED

Buying a New (to me) Venture Question?

tarheelsone

I am seriously considering purchasing a mint 2003 Venture. I know they are wonderful bikes and that every bike no matter what it is has some ticks, issues and problems. I would like to know what this model's are.

Thanks so very much in advance...:bighug:

George

When I go, I want to go like my grandfather, quietly in his sleep. Not like the screaming passengers in his car.

I had a 99 and an 06 and from what I've seen and experienced, they all are pretty much the same. I have read that the 07s have a headbolt problem but I don't remember anything specific to the 03. Biggest issues with the Venture have been the clutch whine/chirp and some problem with the rear end, which is usually cured by a good cleaning and greasing of the splines. On earlier models there was a problem with the trunk; it would develop crackes in the bottom. But yamaha came out with a mod to correct this. If you can look at the bike up close lift the mat in the bottom of the trunk and look for tiny cracks usually radiating from the mounting bolts.

I seem to recall that there was an issue with the lowers cracking and also cracks in the plexiglass lower wind deflector mounts. Neither of my bikes had this problem. I would guess that the cracked lowers was caused by overtightening the mounting bolts. There have been problems with the radio controller and the CB, but if all is working on the bike you are looking at I wouldn't worry about it. It's like buying anything used...all could be good one day and the next....... If the bike looks as if it's been maintained well I would bet you have a keeper. Ventures are a tough bike overall and have a good record of many many useful miles. Good luck and Happy Riding!!

I had a 03 for 5 years, Traded it in on a 07 this past November. You will love the bike, my 07 rides just like the 03, but then it is the same bike just a different year. I had the famous whine in the basket but Yamaha replaced it. The whine didn't go away it just moved to a different speed; I got used to it and could hardly hear it with the JC Whitney pipes I installed. My 07 is much quitter and just a bit of a whine so I'm running HD pipes and I am very pleased with it so far.

Guest Dandy1

I have an 06 RSV and love it. The only thing that I'd call quirks are at about 70 it has a heck of a wine because of the gears and it has a ticking noise when I first start it but it goes away quickly. Other than that get on it and ride the heck out of it! They run good, ride good and handles good and looks good and not covered in plastic. You can't beat a 5 yera warrenty either.

Good Luck!

I have a 99 and other than a shorted battery I have never had a problem. If it does have a whine, well then I would just turn the radio up louder.

BTW I have never heard "That Bike" whine. You will be very happy with it, of this I am certain.

The only scratches on it are on the bottom of the floorboards and that's from getting down in the twisties.

Guest wrench

I looked at an '03 before I bought my '04 Midnight, and it was a very clean nice bike, in red and gold. The dealer however thought he was the only one around with a used Venture and we just couldn't get any way near close on price. That was in Jan. '06, he was asking $13k w/8k miles. I bought the '04 Midnight in March '06 250 miles closer to home with 2k miles and around $3k in accy's for $11,250 otd. There are good deals out there if you're patient. Good luck!!

BTW, GO CARDS!! (yeah, I know, ya'll won!)

I'd just about as soon for the 'heels to win it all now.