IGNORED

Battery ... I think

I had tried to get as much riding as possible in the fall, being my first year with my '05. But I got caught by Mother Nature and I had 3 weeks of no riding before I tried to put her away for the winter. It would not start, I charged the battery and it DID start and I was able to put her away. BUT, the radio would not play. I did notice a small spark when attaching the wires to the negative terminal. I dunno?!?

So as I am now able to break through the backyard glacier, and I was wondering were to begin and just what the heck to do. Fuses? and how do you get to the fuse in the barrel shaped plastic tube that sits on top of the battery? Which fuse is for the radio?

After reading some other people battery woes, the radio seems to be the first thing that goes? right? So maybe it is a weak battery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And ..... um..... pretend your explaining it to a total moron, (maybe then I'll get it). Thanks.

I had tried to get as much riding as possible in the fall, being my first year with my '05. But I got caught by Mother Nature and I had 3 weeks of no riding before I tried to put her away for the winter. It would not start, I charged the battery and it DID start and I was able to put her away. BUT, the radio would not play. I did notice a small spark when attaching the wires to the negative terminal. I dunno?!?

So as I am now able to break through the backyard glacier, and I was wondering were to begin and just what the heck to do. Fuses? and how do you get to the fuse in the barrel shaped plastic tube that sits on top of the battery? Which fuse is for the radio?

After reading some other people battery woes, the radio seems to be the first thing that goes? right? So maybe it is a weak battery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And ..... um..... pretend your explaining it to a total moron, (maybe then I'll get it). Thanks.

Did you try and turn the radio on? When battery power is lost the radio needs to be turned back on. Did you have any indication on the control head?

The fuse in the barrel more than likely goes to your passing lights if they are installed on the bike, or some other after market accessory. Those are simple just hold each end push them together and twist counter clockwise and it will separate. Be carefull and not drop the fuse onto the engine or you might lose it. If I am not mistaken the audio fuses are behind the lower right shroud and you need to remove it to get to them. It has 2 screws in the front and one in the back and then where the two shrouds are together it should just be a tab to hold it in. Pull straight out and it should come off. You will see a small black box about the middle with FUSE written on top. It just pops open. I highly doubt you blew the fuse, but anything is possible. Make sure you turn the radio on though. If your battery had a complete discharge, it has been damaged and will leave you stranded. I know from personal experience on that one, it's best to get yourself a new one. You know the saying "Pay me now or Pay me later" Unless you have a MC trailer or know someone who does it could cost you a tow.

Hope this info helps you.

It would not start, I charged the battery and it DID start and I was able to put her away.

I did notice a small spark when attaching the wires to the negative terminal. I dunno?!?.

I assume the bike is new to you, so did you do anything to it when you got it (plugs, battery ? ) How many miles on it.

Did it crank over or just click, when trying to start it ? After chargeing the battery did crank and how long before the battery drained ?

I would assume it may be original battery. IF so replace it ! As for the spark, this normally means something was turned on, some power was being drawn from something, maybe the key was on when you connected the charger.

LEt us know how it goes. There is quite a few of us around.

BRad

As for the spark, this normally means something was turned on, some power was being drawn from something, maybe the key was on when you connected the charger.

Brad,

I think the spark is caused because the clock draws power when the key is off....

The clock is in the gas gage...:whistling:

As for the spark, this normally means something was turned on, some power was being drawn from something, maybe the key was on when you connected the charger.

Brad,

I think the spark is caused because the clock draws power when the key is off....

The clock is in the gas gage...:whistling:

The clock, as well as the radio presets, and the trip odometer all require some power to maintain memory. That is the cause of the spark.

Yes as stated above the instruments and radio have a fuse in the left side battery cover fuse box.... It's labeled "back up" ... I think it's the fuse closest to the front... To remove the battery cover unscrew the allen head bolt closest to the rear... the front screw is just for show (don't ask me why} then pull the cover out straight to you while you're beside the bike... there's a pin in there with a rubber grommet .

Yes as stated above the instruments and radio have a fuse in the left side battery cover fuse box.... It's labeled "back up" ... I think it's the fuse closest to the front... To remove the battery cover unscrew the allen head bolt closest to the rear... the front screw is just for show (don't ask me why} then pull the cover out straight to you while you're beside the bike... there's a pin in there with a rubber grommet .

Actually it's in the lower right shroud I looked it up last night and it's labeled audio. The backup if I am not mistaken is to retain the memory.

Okay guys... thanks a lot.

I just got home now and its kinda dark but I will get at her as soon as possible.

Hey, just wondering, is the battery part of the 5 year warranty? I will get one either way.

Never thought about turning the radio on..... I will check that first.... as Homer puts it "Dah"

Again, thanks a lot.

Actually it's in the lower right shroud I looked it up last night and it's labeled audio. The backup if I am not mistaken is to retain the memory.

Yes the back up fuse is to retain memory... but the radio won't work if the fuse is blown.

Thanks alot guys, everything worked out great. Radio works, baby is out of the winter cave and awaiting her new Saddlebag Rails to be installed tomorrow morning. Then first ride of the season.... drool drool :) I may set my alarm for a Sunday!! unheard of! probably wont need it! Again thanks, this is the best resource for bike stuff... by far!