IGNORED

Addition to the stable

Brenner

Well I guess it has been coming and my heart is telling me to explore my options with another bike. I love 80"s bikes but more specifically the v-twin sound. Itching for another project and after having someone attempt a trade a shovel decker for my 53 chev belair (deal did not go through as bike was not worth the value of the car) I placed an innocent ad looking for my next project. One day later and two replies I was looking at a true barn find that has sat for 20 years. Not cheap for a project but by far the best way for me to move on to my next bike. I prefer building my rides so I can trust them and the lower the age when parked the better chances they are not as molested or butchered. This particular machine was stored with low mileage and is exceptionally clean and unaltered for it's year and being a barn find in parts. Meaning I bought it from two guys who did not have the skill to check it over or hear it run. This worked to my advantage and thank fully they did not notice what they really had. So I loaded up the parts in my wagon and dragged home my new to me prize and within a day found that the gamble I took was well worth it as I have a nice machine in the making. A week later which brings us today I have gone over the machine and trial assembled it and have it up and running like new aside from the clutch which I found to be the reason it was taken off the road over a lousy $5 torrington bearing failure. This last week I have made a list and I figure it will cost me about $500 above my initial investment to have it correct and road ready as I have many parts that will fit it already in stock from previous projects. I am not tearing this one down to bare frame as I did my venture until I know for a fact I love it and my venture will stay with me until I am sure I prefer this ride. Puc, I hope you agree as I am taking a lesson from you and intend to ride this in it's original form and keep it pretty much stock (even the original quiet mufflers) and intend to add many miles to it. Yes it is what I desire a second Harley. I do not have the original tour pak but intend to find a vinatge metal pop cooler to use as one so it looks different from the harley crowd. I feel more anxious and or excited with this then I did when building the venture and feel it is the right move. I did go in debt to acquire this but I feel my investment will be a lot lees than the finished products value. So Puc do I have your approval?" And does the color not stand out from the common Harley colors?

WP_20150610_003.jpg

:scared::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::scared::thumbsup:

OH MY GOSH BREN,, SHE IS A BEAUTY!!!! Ok, gonna go out on one of my long shot limbs here and guess that to be about a 1985 (tank badge sure looks familiar) FLH Electra Glide in all its natural beauty - WHAT A FIND WHETHER IT IS OR NOT!! BEAUTIFUL!! Being an Evo (not a shovel - I happen to LOVE my Shovels BUT - they are more wrench intensive than the Evo's were). I am sure there are many folks who know wayyyyyyy more about the Evo's than I (have only owned a dozen or so of them) but let me tell ya what - there are lots of good ol Harley boys that believe (and for good reason) that the Evo was the best motor The Motor Company ever produced. One of the reasons why is they are stock gear driven cams, there rocker assemblies are outstanding (shovels were cool looking BUT - again - better know shovels if your gonna do more than look at it), unlike the modern twin cam's - their lifter blocks were still removable (T.C.'s are machined into the cases, Evo's have Timken bearings on the crank. Your bike may be the 5 speed - I always really enjoyed my ratchet top 4 speed shovels BUT - all the 74 and 80 inch Shovels and Evo's (talking stock stuff here) are low R bikes with a short attention span and that extra gear is AWESOME for long range touring..

GOOD NIGHT THAT IS PURDY BREN!!

Ok, downfall of the early Evo's, Harley got into a batch of soft cams back then, helped LOTS of buddies and folks on the highway tend to broken cams. If it were mine, I would trust nothing anyone has told me about my bike - I would open it up and start fresh. They also really liked to seep oil around the rear cylinder base gasket. New gasket makeup has been the cure for that for many years. The items you will find hard to find (amazing how much of the stuff you can still buy from Harley or Big Twin or JP or...) will be things like pins for the calipers,,, little high wear stuff like that..

I am with ya my friend - IMHO - DO NOT PAINT IT!! If its stock and original, let it keep its earned scratches and scars,, I LOVE THAT BIKE JUST LIKE IT IS BROTHER!!

WOW that is PURDY!!

GOOD ON YA BREN - NOTHING SOUNDS AS SWEET AS ONE OF THOSE OLD BIG TWINS,, WOW I MISS THOSE DAYS!!!:thumbsup:

Puc and Mike, My apologies on the late response as I have been away from this site and out trying to get this project together. Pics as you requested Puc will be up sometime in the future just because you asked. 1988 Electra Glide Classic, 1340 Evo 5 spd, belt drive. Mike I will be in touch in the near future as I have been a few blocks from you but did not want to just drop by with little to no advance notice. I still need to drop an item off to Carls that he wanted for saddlebum. So many things to remember to do and the time and miles add up but still I get no where. I have roughly 4000km on my venture since starting out on it and am more comfortable but I have a stronger spark with this Harley. Hopefully I have not been too spoiled with the nice aspects of the venture that will make me not as impressed with the Harley. The venture has great aspects but in my opinion does not have the character or soul I crave and feel the Harley has. Who knows maybe I will never find the right bike to fit my needs? I am not ready to join the buy new and ride group yet so I will stick with my low mileage vintage rides. Besides at the price I pick them up at I can have a couple instead of just one for the same money.

Veeerrryyyy nice. Wish I luck and money for that.

Thank you and all due respect my friend sometimes you have to just commit yourself and do the extra work required to achieve your goals. I am doing nothing more than what anyone else is capable of. Financially it is tough but I think in the end I will feel rewarded in knowing that it is mine and I earned it rather than just bought it. I am in between jobs right now but am able to make dollars on my own to survive even though it involves doing work I no longer want to do. When I commit to something I do not test the waters but rather jump in head first and most of the times my gamble spay off, other times I too lose. On a lighter note I took my first ride with the pictured Harley up and down my driveway a few times and things are progressing and the more people stop by they all comment it suits me better then my venture. Do they know something that I am unsure of?

Thank you and all due respect my friend sometimes you have to just commit yourself and do the extra work required to achieve your goals. I am doing nothing more than what anyone else is capable of. Financially it is tough but I think in the end I will feel rewarded in knowing that it is mine and I earned it rather than just bought it. I am in between jobs right now but am able to make dollars on my own to survive even though it involves doing work I no longer want to do. When I commit to something I do not test the waters but rather jump in head first and most of the times my gamble spay off, other times I too lose. On a lighter note I took my first ride with the pictured Harley up and down my driveway a few times and things are progressing and the more people stop by they all comment it suits me better then my venture. Do they know something that I am unsure of?

Bren, I have a hunch that those people that made that comment also knew you were gonna write what you wrote above before you even wrote it - what you wrote explains exactly why they would make that comment - IMHO!! You earn it - it becomes part of you = something that is hard to understand but very real!! And brother - those ol Harley's have an emotional make up, soul if you will, that people like you and I just crave!!! THAT IS ONE PURDY SOULFILLED MACHINE YOU LANDED BREN!!:thumbsup: