IGNORED

New Marks collector on, took awhile

JohnT

So I take the chicken $hi+ way out and have the Yamaha dealer in Watertown do this. The stock stuff hasn't ever been off and it did not go real well. But it was a success in the end.

The exhaust Allen bolts did not come out easily, but did come out in the end. Two of the stock head pipes just would NOT come out of the collector. But the added length of the 1 1/4" copper couplers solved that dilemma once they were cut.

Now for the collector itself. Not a true slip on due to (I assume) not being built on the jig. But with diligence, experience, and all the tools of the trade the Yamaha mechanic got it did. Plus thanks to a thread pertaining to this mod I had the needed 1 1/4" copper pipe and couplers. I got 4 couplers which is good because 2 of them had to be used full length on the 2 head pipes that had to be cut at the entry to the stock collector box. 4.5 hours of labor made this an expensive proposition overall. At $350 for the collector and just about the same in labor and tax. Oh well. My 1st Gen is just that much closer to being my own.

Was it worth it? All in all, yes. (Wife / CFO might argue) With the stock mufflers it is a bit deeper in tone. It does seem to pull a bit harder and it does sound better under load.

For the balance of the year I have the following on deck.

A local fabricator will make the connector pipes between the Marks collector and the stock RK take offs that I have in my shed. I want stainless connector pipes.

The V Max final drive install is set for when I get the replacement rotor. I was sent a front rotor and not the rear that I ordered. So I get to ship the wrong one back to the UK and wait for the replacement. If they really have one. (Anyone have a good rear rotor for a 1st Gen?)

My new Kicker 4" speakers are en route for installation in the stock fairing location and 1 1/2" 6x9 stand offs are on the way to mount a set of Infinity speakers where the stock stereo and CLASS used to be.

On the bright side I did put 300 miles on yesterday. 100 of which was with 115 Harley's, 2 Spyders, 1 Yamaha crotch rocket, 1 1984 Yamaha 650 bobber, and my 1st Gen. Can you believe I was the only VR/RSV there?

I like mine the best.

OUTSTANDING T - sounds like ya did real well!!:thumbsup: Would LOVE to see some :photographing:'s!

Also,, """On the bright side I did put 300 miles on yesterday. 100 of which was with 115 Harley's, 2 Spyders, 1 Yamaha crotch rocket, 1 1984 Yamaha 650 bobber, and my 1st Gen.""" sure sounds like a great recipe for some awesome fun!:thumbsup:

I am real interested in your sound setup once you get it all installed and working. The sound on my bike is desperately in need of a replacement.

And there lies the real reason behind my collector install. I also felt the sound setup on my bike needed attention. This fact was made glaringly evident once I started riding the VR to the Harley shop on a regular basis.

It is going to need different mufflers for sure. The change is mostly tone as opposed to volume I guess is the best way to put it. At idle there is little difference in volume. Revving in neutral is similar. Revving under load is where I grin. The grin is attached to my tach needle. More needle swing = wider grin.

Once I get the pipes made to hang the RK mufflers I am going to have fun. Every RK muffler will then fit and I will have a number of Reinhardt,V+H, Basani, and so on pipes to "test listen". Some of my service customers are really cool that way. Monster Ovals on a 1st Gen? Inquiring minds need to know.

I have a quick question. Now that the front pipes and collector have been off. (And NOTHING came apart easy) What if anything can or should I do to keep it all removable? Like for my starter upgrade and such. Never Seize the head pipe bolts? Loosen joints now and again? Or just leave it alone and hope for the best?

I have a quick question. Now that the front pipes and collector have been off. (And NOTHING came apart easy) What if anything can or should I do to keep it all removable? Like for my starter upgrade and such. Never Seize the head pipe bolts? Loosen joints now and again? Or just leave it alone and hope for the best?

Most definitely put high-temperature (I like the copper based) never seize on the bolts/nuts/studs. It wouldn't hurt to use the same copper based never seize on the pipe joints.

• 2 weeks later...