IGNORED

The Buddy System

Eck

Those of us that ride Wings have all heard about a friend who's alternator went out when away from home.

In this case, a buddy system works just fine to get that bike into town if your buddy is riding with you.

When your Alternator dies and your engine is running, it will continue to run until the battery dies, and it will not, of course, recharge that battery.

Then your bike dies and you pull to the side of the road. What to do?

You swap batteries with your buddy!

Pull all unnecessary fuses (particularly the headlight fuse if there is daylight) and turn off those driving lights, then start your Wing.

Jump start your buddy's bike with the 'dead' battery, (you can push start it in second gear with key in the on position) then drive away until the new battery slowly dies off.

The good alternator in your friend's bike will charge, at least partially, that 'dead' battery sufficiently so that when it is time to do the swap again you can do it and get the bikes started again. You might have to do this a few times, of course.

Naturally, if you are riding in a group of more than two, you use any of the full function bikes to originate the jump start from.

So, do I take it alternator failures are common?

Alternators are known to go on Goldwing's. Some last over 100k and some don't. One never knows when it will go out and there is no warning. Just like your cage. However, just like your cage has, it is wise to install a volt (or amp) meter and keep an eye on it. When you see it dropping you know it's time to head towards town...or an alternator rebuild shop. I know several GW owners who carry a spare alternator in their trailer when on long trips just for this reason. I am looking for an old alternator now so I can have it rebuilt and ready to go. Relays "A" and "B" are also know troubles on wings. I carry new ones (of each) in my side bag.