IGNORED

No headlight or dash lights

I just finished putting my 89 Venture back together after replacing plug wires, battery cables, fixing E4 error in class, refreshed desicant, and replaced back brakes and pistons seals; oh and back behind headlight to see how to replace bulb. I have had a lot of the bike apart, and every connector that I could reach I took apart, cleaned and put some dielectric grease in. However, upon starting up, I thought I noticed a little lag till the headlight/dash lights came on. After running the bike for about 10 min they suddenly went out. I have signal lights, clock etc but no headlight (low or high), no headlight indicator, and no dash lights.

So my question is, what/where is the likely culprit connector? I must not have put one back together securely? How about behind the headlight? Oh well, project for tomorrow I guess.

There are 2 sets of contacts on the starter button on a 1st gen....as you push in the starter button, the first set opens to cut off power to the headlight, meterlights.....as you push further the starter contacts close to power starter circuit. When you release button, if it doesn't fully return to its rest position the starting circuit opens but the headlight circuit doesn't close, so you have no headlight. Try working the starter switch a few times with the key off, then retry with key on....headlight should be on, then go out cranking then return when starter button is released.