IGNORED

Engine Vibes

Got the new TCIP4 from Ignitech installed and went for a ride today after the rain moved out. Bike runs great and initial readings show my mileage is improved with the Ignitech and the new plug in the #3 position.

There's a very noticeable high frequency vibration. You feel it in the handlebars and the brake/clutch reservoirs, but not in the tops of the forks, which I can touch while riding. Also don't feel it in the aluminum handlebar extensions that mount on the triple tree, just the steel bar ends and grips. Seems to be mainly between 2500 and 3000 rpm. If I pull in the clutch at any speed, in any gear, the vibes go away below 2500 rpm. Initially thought it was front-end related till I let it coast at idle, so I think that pretty much eliminates wheels and final drive as possible culprits.

The buzzy vibe doesn't come back at higher revs, at least not that I can notice. But since I tend to cruise in this rpm range it's readily noticeable.

So what y'all think? Something in the engine or tranny, or could it be mounts? I haven't pulled this drive train out of the frame yet,waiting till we settle in to our new house and cold weather to return in the fall. So condition of any mounting or vibration-isolating hardware is unknown.

What Randy said and than I would look at exhaust connectors allowing for direct contact with frame and that kind of stuff - wrong washers in wrong places and the pipes are no longer isolated,, that kinda stuff.. Maybe a loose motor mounts.. Maybe something bent and resting against the engine.. I know what your talking about Fly,, those little "heyyyy,, that buzzzzz aint spose to be there" drive me crazy too..

I had one once that developed after I used Tweeks collector as a skid plate - dont forget to take a peek under your bike too!!

What Randy said and than I would look at exhaust connectors allowing for direct contact with frame and that kind of stuff - wrong washers in wrong places and the pipes are no longer isolated,, that kinda stuff.. Maybe a loose motor mounts.. Maybe something bent and resting against the engine.. I know what your talking about Fly,, those little "heyyyy,, that buzzzzz aint spose to be there" drive me crazy too..

I had one once that developed after I used Tweeks collector as a skid plate - dont forget to take a peek under your bike too!!

Damn Puc, I thought I was gonna get away with this one. I dropped the old girl before the ride of the vibes. Gently dropped. Had a brain 'old' fart, put the sidestand up, thought of something I wanted in the house, went to set the bike back on the sidestand, and away we go, as The Great One used to say.

Tried to catch it, but of course in the saddle, 5'8" and 170ish pounds, all I could do was say bad words and watch the Titanic sink. Rollover/ fallover/ old fart forgot sidestand was up switch worked fine, though. It was close enough to the house that I could brace against the wall and got it back up. Most importantly, nobody saw. The crash bar took all the weight and doesn't look bent, but I'll go over the whole thing tomorrow in bright sunlight.

And where's that video of you using Tweeks as an off-road scoot??

:biker:

:big-grin-emoticon: I have done exactly that same thing Fly,, its a horrible feeling when you realize that the kickstand dont respond to telepathic orders aint it? It is REALLY disconcerting when that great big ol beautiful Tweeks gets about 1/10th of a degree to far into her fall and I just have to step aside and watch her scratch her back and dust herself down to keep the bugs off:big-grin-emoticon:

Probably one of this funniest times Tips, Tweeks and I had with this very scenario was real early in the morning at a Cemetery we had slept in out in a place called Burns Oregon.. We rolled into that particular "campground" at about 2 am, picked a spot away from the area "campers" (real quiet bunch) parked Tweeks, cut loose the bed roll and went fast asleep. I didnt realize it but I had put Tweeks kickstand down on a raised portion of ground that had a tree root real close to the surface. Next morning I reached down to open the "Health and Beauty Aids" saddlebag on her side, she spooked and over she went!! Tip was standing on the other side of the old girl - I yelped at her to not try and stop Tweeks sideways motion.. She bounced off that Oregon Cemetery sod like super ball off a concrete wall!!

Here are a couple of vids of doing a little off roading.. A couple are just spots where we camped at after off roading our way in,, Lots of fun!!!

Edited by cowpuc

Puc, this stuff is the bomb, you're a man after my own heart! Question, um, where do you...ya know, do...ya know...doodies? Where's the showers and McDonalds?? And omg, is that the Bonneville Salt Flats???

Edited by flyday58
Changed "Death Valley" to "BSF". Jeez, I'm old!

These vids remind me of "Endless Summer". You could have these cut into a motion picture and I'd go see it! Puts Venturing in a whole new perspective for me, SOOO glad I traded 3 boxes of Honda parts for my '83. Best deal I ever made, excluding the Missus.

Thanks a million for sharing, you oughtta repost these in a separate thread; anyone who doesn't view this one is gonna miss out!

Puc, this stuff is the bomb, you're a man after my own heart! Question, um, where do you...ya know, do...ya know...doodies? Where's the showers and McDonalds?? And omg, is that the Bonneville Salt Flats???

We try and do better than McDonalds..

But when we cant we always try and pick the RIGHT McDonalds!!

For showers and potties we do a lot of wilderness type stuff (bigger trees make better bathrooms), for doo dooing, just try to go at gas stations. Two people can get cleaned up pretty good under a half gallon of warm water (notice the jug on the side of the bike - gets PLENTY warm in the desert heat). LOVES truck stops have the best showers if really needed..

That wasnt Death Valley (below are pics of Death Valley).. The vid you are probably referring to was a few miles out on the Bonneville Salt Flats - AMAZING PLACE!! Took Tweeks to 125 in that vid fully loaded - Tippy was taking the vid.. Tweeks wanted more - I backed down..

We caught Death Valley on a full moon and rode at night (AWESOME) until gas was about gone. Found the only gas station within many miles, camped on their slab till morning. They opened at 6 am, it was 104 degrees all night and had climbed to 108 by 6, when pic at sign was takin it was just over 120!!

DSCN6622.JPG

DSCN6629.JPG

DSCN6606.JPG

DSCN6634.JPG

These vids remind me of "Endless Summer". You could have these cut into a motion picture and I'd go see it! Puts Venturing in a whole new perspective for me, SOOO glad I traded 3 boxes of Honda parts for my '83. Best deal I ever made, excluding the Missus.

Thanks a million for sharing, you oughtta repost these in a separate thread; anyone who doesn't view this one is gonna miss out!

Awe,, you are more than welcome Fly!! Got that right on the GREAT deal of swapping parts for one of these amazing scoots!! These old Yams are tough as nails - not perfect, maybe not the prettiest things (I happen to love em but I guess I see beauty in a different way), BUT - THEY HAVE SOUL AND A HEART THE SIZE OF TEXAS!!!

THANK YOU for the compliments!! Hope you have a GREAT summer chasing the wind on your 83!!

Puc

That wasnt Death Valley (below are pics of Death Valley).. The vid you are probably referring to was a few miles out on the Bonneville Salt Flats - AMAZING PLACE!! Took Tweeks to 125 in that vid fully loaded - Tippy was taking the vid.. Tweeks wanted more - I backed down..

!

Yup, after I brain-old-farted I realized it was Bonneville, so went back and edited it. Guess you saw the original version. Coulda been Edwards too, but couldn't see how you woulda got permission to drag the Shuttle Landing Site! But then, lots of people know lots of people, I'm just not one of them.

:confused24:

Found the clutch hydraulic line metal union in contact with the motor underneath the shifter where a clamp holds it to the frame. First tried jacking the motor to see if there was any give in the mounts, but there was no movement. So I just bent the clamp enough to keep the union from hitting the engine case. Gonna ride it tonight after dark to test the brightness of my LED hi-beam indicator and will check the vibes then. Most of it was in the clutch master cylinder and left-side handlebar, so hopefully this fixes it.

Noted Jeff, heard this before. But I'm not that comfy with a big bike like this yet, only ever owned small enduros from the 70s and 80s up till now. So I'll keep it low and slow for now. My limitations will move upward as I get more experience with it, I'm sure. I fly big airplanes for one of the big three US airlines, and I know I operate them more conservatively than most of my mates. With more miles on the 83 I'm willing to bet I'll get to be on friendlier terms with the higher revs. Thanks for the tip.