IGNORED

Finally Got Her Home

My neighbor just hooked me up with this 1989 Venture. For free! It has been sitting in his garage for the past ten years. He did drain the gas out of the tank. It needs a clutch kit and a little TLC. It has 85,000 miles, but looks very nice. he said everything works but the CB. Looking forward to getting this thing back up and running. Bike.JPG

Yes BlueSky he is. Also happens to be a very good mechanic. He is going to help me with the clutch kit and get the fluids changed out and new tires put on. He bought this bike new and put all 85000 miles on it, but now due to a nerve issue in his leg he no longer rides. He is afraid of his leg giving out on him. I see from your profile you live here in Wilmington.

We moved here in 1968. I love it here this time of year with all the Dogwoods and Azaleas in bloom.

Gypsygirl, I have lived in Wilmington from 73 to 78 and then from 93 to present. But, since 96 I have spent a lot of time working temp contract jobs in many other states.

I need to get my ebay 4 brush starter installed and I'll be ready to ride. It runs great but is slow to turn over when hot. Maybe we can take some short rides together after both of us get our bikes sorted out. I haven't done much to mine since I bought it. I worked out of state for 4 1/2 months last year during prime time riding season and didn't ride it much, less than 200 miles so far. You may have read already that the 83 thru 90 models have 2 brush starters that are weak.

Bluesky

When I worked for u-haul back in the 70's we had all Ford equipment. Alot of them the old 300 straight 6. We had some issues with slow starts and the fix was going to bigger cables, we used ones off the 6v. So bigger cables may help.

BlueSky, Looking forward to riding with you. This is my first real bike. I have never been on one this large. I have a 1973 Honda 350 Scrambler that I ride now. This thing is a beast compared to the 350. I will be taking a safety course this month with the police where they ride along with you and after a short ride they tell you all the things you are doing incorrectly. Yes I have read about the starter issue. Will try the larger cables first if i have that problem.

Smily, I work with lots of transplanted folks from Ohio. They all love it here. Just had a buddy from Cincinnati take a trip to Napa valley Big Sur, San Fran area, and he said the best thing about his trip was when his plane broke through the clouds to land back here in Wilmington. It truly is a very nice place to live.

Edited by Gypsygirl

What a deal getting a Venture for free ! lucky you, follow the wires coming out of your stator cover on the left side down by your foot, find the 3 wire connector and see what condition that is in that can help your slow start issue too may be corroded, but new 4 pole starter, upgraded battery and fatter wires would definitely help too but that all costs money cleaning all your connections is relatively cheap and easy, just sayin, good luck and happy riding !!!