IGNORED

K&N Filter_NEW_Backfire?_Help

Long Tall

Hey ALL:

I added the K&N filters with the Chrome Covers this past weekend....Just took them out of the plastic...attached the new gasket to the inside of the cover....installed the new Chrome covers and put back on the bike...

First thing I noticed...It did not idle as smooth...and the "exhaust note" from the right side sounded like my old 68 Ford from way back with a big cam in it...

Second when I drove it, occassonally when I let of throttle I get a mild "backfire"....If I really down shift and put pressure on the the system, I MIGHT get a LOUD BANG/POP...Took it to a service tech I know and he has thirty two years in the business....As soon as mentioned the problem in said.."To much oil in the filters...take them out and let them set a while.." He said he had noticed that other K&N Filters were coming in to him with more than normal oil in filter...

ANY THOUGHTS? HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM....ANY INPUT WOULD BE WELCOMED...

George In Virginia...

Did you Sync the carbs afterwards? Mine did basically the same thing and when I synced them it is normal now..May have been just me but it seemed to work..One more thing make sure the choke knob is pushed in all the way.Ive done that before too.

Heavy oiling is not uncommon lately. The Mustang owners I know all warned me to take my K&N for my Mach 1 and let it dry out some before putting it in. A heavy oiled filter in the Mach will cause all kinds of idle problems. Over oiling will cause a problem and it used to be the only time that happened was after you cleaned it and oiled it. However now it seems that some are coming new with too much oil.

I'm going to try to left to right side this weekend...and see if that left side changes....As I mentioned, the left side sounds fine now....I did have the mechanic do a quick check of the carbs and when I looked at the screen, I did see a slight difference, but nothing great...My Mechanic said it was not enough to deal with...Honestly...I had to look hard to see a difference in the measurements...

Thanks for the input..

George in Virginia

:detective:

I don't know why, but I've never had good luck with K&N air filters on any of my bikes. They just didn't seem to run as good, even though carbs were adjusted, jetted, etc. On my RSV, I trimmed the stock filters abit and installed the chrome covers. Works just fine. My dealer says I should install the K&N's, but now that I've installed V&H slip-ons, I'd probably have to re-jet and right now the bike is running good and I'm fine with it.

Jut got through moving the left to right and right to left....It has to be a carb thing...the right side is still sounding "OFF"...Guess I'll take it to dealer tomorrow and see about a Carb sync.....Don't have a Manometer....

George in Virginia...

What's the main reason for going to K&N filters? To add the chrome covers? Because I have heard very little good about putting them on the RSV. Poor performance, bad gas mileage. Personally I don't care for them.

To get the chrome covers, it says that you need the Filters....

Now I see that with a little mod, I can use the stock filters....

George