IGNORED

Engine Off Run Switch

About a year ago, I was having low voltage problems which would cause insufficient voltage to the fuel pump relay to run the pump. I cleaned a lot of connections, replaced the fuse box and cleaned the engine off/run (kill) switch and the problem went away for a year.

I never used the switch to turn the bike off but always used the ignition key. Well, after reading some posts of the benefits of using the switch, last weekend I started using it on an overnight ride. The voltage problem returned. I was able to get it running and make it home but I have to fix this.

I'm assuming the problem is related to the kill switch but I want to confirm this. I am looking for the best way to bypass the switch to see if that fixes it. Should I do it at the switch or is there a better place. I don't know where the wires from the kill switch go and if there is a connector that I can jump. The diagram shows the two wires ,R/W, from the switch going to a six way plug which I assume is behind the headlight. Is that correct?

Then, what can I do to this switch, other than bypass it, to fix it or should I replace it. I can't find a new one so I would have to buy used. I know there is an excellent instruction in "read only" on cleaning this switch. The only part I'm not sure of is using dielectric grease on the contacts as it suggests. I didn't do that last time. Would it help? Thanks.

The dielectric grease does help keep the switch clean longer. The grease helps to keep water and air from causing corrosion of the contacts. it is easy to jumper the 2 red white wires at the switch for testing or emergencies.

As part of my winter maintenance I have just got in the habit of cleaning all of the handlebar mounted switches. Once you have done it a few times, it goes pretty fast.

I did not remove/disable my kill switch when I had problems with it, I still want that shutoff option there in an emergency.