IGNORED

Anybody want a RSTD quick release sissy bar / luggage rack? Trunk mount options?

oconeedan

I'm going to add a trunk to my 07 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. Not as easy as it sounds. I've been kicking around ideas of how to mount a trunk (and what trunk to buy).

My first thought is to just cut the sissy bar off of the rack. It's a good sturdy rack, and it's quick release. Bolt the trunk to the rack somehow.

But I am also thinking about a Wompus Racks, just buying one and using that, but they are pricey. Money does matter to me. Buying a Venture trunk, complete, and finding a mount, is adding up to big $$$.

So...before I cut up my stock sissy bar and rack, I thought I would see if anyone was interested in buying it, to help offset the cost of a Wompus Rack.

I've been looking at used trunks on ebay, including new trunks that are around 150 bucks (I'm a bit concerned about quality), older BMW trunk, older Voyager trunk, etc.

I'd like to keep cost down to 350 or less.

My bike is black, but I can shoot paint. I don't mind scratches, but don't want rusty hardware.

If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears. Thanks, Dan

Do you have a hitch on your bike? If so you can get a trunk, HD, Yam, or any trunk and mount it to a receiver and then you could use it when you need it or leave it off. The best thing is you don't have to loose anything that you have on the bike now. I did one for when the wife and I go on trips instead of dragging the trailer.

Previously I made trunk brackets for RSTD's and sold them on this site.. Your comment "I'm going to add a trunk to my 07 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. Not as easy as it sounds" isn't true.. The bracket I made takes all of two minutes to put on or take off..one of my bracket & trunks is up for sale in classifieds......check it out..... http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=195&title=naturbar-trunk-mount-and-trunk&cat=23

I have lots of experience with adding a trunk to our 2005 RSTD. Went with a Wompus rack originally, really liked it. Used a less expensive Matasuko trunk first. Even then $350 would not be enough. Eventually installed a Harley Tour Pack on the Wompus rack loved it!! Recently wanted grab handles so I replaced the Wompus rack with RSV rails and RSV rack. My wife and grandson really like the grab bars. The extra cost is well worth it. That being said Patrolman46 purchased a modified RSTD backrest and aftermarket Harley looking trunk from another owner. I am impressed with the modified mount but cold weather has kept us from installing it. I am anxious to see it. I really like what I have but this other way might really be worth a look. Hope to install on Dan's bike this week. Sure willing to offer long distance help if needed.