IGNORED

speed bleeder question

Ben Rollins

Word of advice. If you've had the brake system open to work on lines, calipers or master cylinders or such get the system bled out to both ends with OLD bleeders first. Then change out to the NEW SPEED BLEEDERS after you get pressure.

Due to the nature of the valve in the speed bleeder they do not work as many expect with a lot of air in the lines and be a pain to bleed out on a fresh dry system. (they have to have fluid in them to work)

If your current system is filled and working just quickly change them out and do a quick bleed to clear the air out.

Don't get me wrong. Speed bleeders are great. Got them on mine and have installed them on half a dozen other bikes over the last few years. Having said that, there have a few of those (very few) that failed right of the bag brand new. Just saying if working on a system with a lot of air and new bleeders you might end up chasing a problem you really don't have.

Snaggletooth is right about how they work. I use the old bleeders to drain ( applies to brakes and clutch)I also use a clear plastic tube and drain old fluid into an empty container ( brake fluid is REALLY nasty stuff, eats paint on contact and will do a lot of damage to just about anything it gets on) If you are poor like me and don't have all the gizmos, I use a short piece of the clear tubing and attach it to a big syringe that you can easily get for a dollar or two at a grocery or discount store (think meat injector) or if you have a farm and supply store or know an animal vet. Anyway, put fluid in the reservoir and pull the fluid through with the syringe. DO NOT let the fluid in the reservoir get low enough to suck air in. If you use the speed bleeders they work great for this, pull until you get fluid, this method usually doesn't produce a lot of bubbles, disconnect the syringe, put the tube in the empty container, tighten the bleeder until it is BARELY OPEN and pump the brake or clutch until it produces no bubbles, ( with this method there may be very few but run enough fluid that you are sure, brake fluid is not that expensive) close the speed bleeder and pump the lever slowly until it pressures up, ( this may seem like nothing as it may already be close when the bleeder is closed) be extremely careful to pull slowwly on the lever as fluid will squirt out of the holes in the reservoir at sometime during the entire procedure. Top off the reservoir and replace the cover....good to go!:cool10: