IGNORED

Speedometer Cable

Never leave your speedometer cable loose on the bottom end. The cable inside the sleeve will depart the bike and you won't find it. However I found a NEW one on Amazon for $15.00 and free shipping, way cheaper than the parts outlet. Just sayin'....Apparently Yamaha does not install that little keeper thing you see (that I have seen anyway) on the speedometer end of most cables making it install from one end only....

The two things I have done on my speedometer cable is make sure the ring is on the top end of the cable where it can not come out the bottom and the other thing I did was to put the cable housing through one of the holes near the tripple tree and put a good size plastic wire tie around housing so the cable housing can not fall through the hole.

Yes, I have lost cables from both ends at one time over the past 19 years, but not anymore.

RandyA

Well of course now that the new cable is on the way I found my old one in the road today... I lost just the cable, not the sleeve housing...Yesterday; if I had walked another 30 yards I would have found it (IF it was in the road, we have school kids walking the road twice a day so who knows where it was) and not ordered the new one but it's not much and having a spare isn't a bad idea.

Thanks all for the comments and advice!

Edited by dna9656