IGNORED

Pics from yesterdays ride

Chaharly

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you get the chance, inquiring minds would like to know.....

Just curious if this was a mechanical failure. Was it your front tire or your back tire wobbling? When you went Darkside did you place the brake side washer into the diff for clearance on the left side swing arm? Your findings of what went wrong may possibly save one of our necks in the future. Any info you could provide would be most helpful.

Thanks!!!

When you get the chance, inquiring minds would like to know.....

Just curious if this was a mechanical failure. Was it your front tire or your back tire wobbling? When you went Darkside did you place the brake side washer into the diff for clearance on the left side swing arm? Your findings of what went wrong may possibly save one of our necks in the future. Any info you could provide would be most helpful.

Thanks!!!

I guess I did not know about this? It was the back wheel that was wobbling. It was my very first extended ride with the dark side tire. I think it was something mechanical that went wrong with the bike but when I checked underneath I could find nothing out of place. The bike is stuck in 5th gear but the wheel is turnable by hand. It all seems tight and the leveling links looked ok. I'm really confused about what went wrong.

I felt the tire over and didnt feel any rough spots on the tire and its still up. I just dont know:bang head:

Brakeside washer usually gets transplanted to inside the diff so that there can be clearance between 165 series tire and left side swingarm.

Our first clue to the failure is that the bike is stuck in 5th gear, yet the wheel will move. Now, only taking the wheel off will tell us what went wrong.

Both bearings going out at same time (left side horizontal needle bearing and right side radial ball bearing) will sure cause tire to wobble. However, if the bearings are out and the cush drive is still engaged to the diff splines, the wheel will not rotate if the bike is in gear (if drive shaft/ u joint not broken).

Missing internal spacer will cause radial bearing failure (right side) and the tire may appear to be rotating steady by hand because it is being held up by horizontal needle bearing but will wobble horribly if weight is put on it. Still does not explain why tire rotates with bike in gear.

Hmmmmmm.....

Brakeside washer usually gets transplanted to inside the diff so that there can be clearance between 165 series tire and left side swingarm.

Our first clue to the failure is that the bike is stuck in 5th gear, yet the wheel will move. Now, only taking the wheel off will tell us what went wrong.

Both bearings going out at same time (left side horizontal needle bearing and right side radial ball bearing) will sure cause tire to wobble. However, if the bearings are out and the cush drive is still engaged to the diff splines, the wheel will not rotate if the bike is in gear (if drive shaft/ u joint not broken).

Missing internal spacer will cause radial bearing failure (right side) and the tire may appear to be rotating steady by hand because it is being held up by horizontal needle bearing but will wobble horribly if weight is put on it. Still does not explain why tire rotates with bike in gear.

Hmmmmmm.....

The back wheel only moves an inch or so either way. It wont turn anymore than that. I just assume thats the gear slack

The back wheel only moves an inch or so either way. It wont turn anymore than that. I just assume thats the gear slack

Ohhhh... My bad. I misunderstood and thought the wheel could be moved further by hand all the way around. Well, if you ever find anything out please let us know. Much thanks!

Ohhhh... My bad. I misunderstood and thought the wheel could be moved further by hand all the way around. Well, if you ever find anything out please let us know. Much thanks!

I definitely will let you what happened when I figure it out. Itll give me piece of mind and like you said, it may save some of your guys skins in the future