IGNORED

cranks but won't start

I just got back into town last night, was away for 2 months. I tried starting my 07 RSV. It cranked very well, but did not start. By cranking numerous times I smelled fuel. So I thought maybe flooded. Today , tried starting it, cranks but doesn't start. How can I check if there is spark ? RSV started before I left in November. I checked ignition fuse, it's not blown. Thanks

Should be able to unplug a spark plug cap, insert a screw driver then with the screw driver in the spark plug cap position the screw driver about a quarter inch away from the block. Crank the engine and look for a spark. Or you can just grab the screwdriver and crank it and if she shocks You VIOLA!!! You have spark

Just a thought... You didn't mention if you had a 100% battery state on the bike after 2 months away.. Hopefully nothing more than just a weak battery, strong enough to crank it but not enough to play nice with spark.. Once you have that eliminated, then you know you have somewhere else to look for the fault..

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.. Do you remember how old the previous battery was? I ended up replacing the batteries in my 05 VStar and 06 RSV at the 6 yr mark for each battery.. I was lucky it started showing signs while at home and not on a road trip. Based on that experience, I plan to replace the battery after the 5th year.. I don't have access to fancy batteries out here but found the NAPPA batteries to be quite excellent for these two bikes.. cranks like a bear, and at a good price.