IGNORED

New Product for plastic repairs.................

DragonRider

Well, it arrived. But, I don't have anything to 'fix' right now. At what it costs, I won't be using it just for a review. BUT, if I can think of something to use it on, I will surely give my opinion.

I just now showed my wife and told her to let me know if she comes up with something to fix.

craigr

• 8 months later...

I had forgotten that I posted about this.

I finally found a use for it. I needed to fix a pare of glasses to get me thru the weekend. It did hold, kinda. I had to make several RE-repairs, and it ended up simply getting a bunch of Glue built up around the arm.

I will not recommend this Product.

Whenever I have plastic fail, I just plastic weld it.

Plastic welding is a fancy name that keeps the average joe from thinking it's something they can do at home or need special equipment to do.

As long as the plastic is thermoplastic (IE:melts with heat) and not thermosetting (IE: hardens with heat) anyone can plastic weld with a wood burning tip or soldering iron, an assortment of shaped tips and a little extra material for some filler.

Almost all bike plastic I've seen is thermoplastic and welds easily. Usually ABS, which is cheap and plentiful. You can even cut strips out of a piece of ABS pipe to make filler rods. The material chemistry is sometimes a little different, but it works just fine all the same.

Like all things, It take a little practice to do it well, but it's a pretty simple process. I alter/build plastic on bikes all the time this way. For example:

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/Interceptor/image_zpsmtpwtwsm.jpg

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/Interceptor/image_zpssleaxb1o.jpg

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/Interceptor/image_zpstkryxlrv.jpg

:)

Whenever I have plastic fail, I just plastic weld it.

Plastic welding is a fancy name that keeps the average joe from thinking it's something they can do at home or need special equipment to do.

As long as the plastic is thermoplastic (IE:melts with heat) and not thermosetting (IE: hardens with heat) anyone can plastic weld with a wood burning tip or soldering iron, an assortment of shaped tips and a little extra material for some filler.

Any tips or just go for it? :sign woo hoo:

Any tips or just go for it? :sign woo hoo:

I use a wood burning tool. Nice low heat and it creeps up on the melt. There's a fairly fine line between just enough and too much.

If you start seeing "bubbling", you've gone too hot and the plastic is ruined. It sort of crystallizes and becomes brittle.

Grab some scrap pieces and have a go. Just like metal welding, practice is king!

I use a wood burning tool. Nice low heat and it creeps up on the melt. There's a fairly fine line between just enough and too much.

If you start seeing "bubbling", you've gone too hot and the plastic is ruined. It sort of crystallizes and becomes brittle.

Grab some scrap pieces and have a go. Just like metal welding, practice is king!

Don't have a wood burning tool but do have a pencil soldering iron with a few flat or spade tips. I'll give it a try.

Gotta fix a few holes in the bottom of my spare trunk. Not only holes with a bit of material missing, but some of the plastic around them is bent and needs to be coerced back into position before welding or filling can be done. Can always use another weapon in my plastic attack arsenal.

:happy65:

Since this was originally posted I have had to make a repair to one of my saddlebags that had a really bad crack in it. I went to Tap Plastics and bought a piece of 1/16th inch ABS sheet, cut a template for where the repair needed to be made, cut the flat piece of ABS to match the template, heated the cut piece with a heat gun until pliable then pressed and held it where the repair would be. After the repair piece cooled I sanded the repair location in the saddlebag and the repair piece, cleaned both surfaces. I then applied a generous amount of ABS glue (that I bought at Lowes) to both surfaces then placed the repair piece over the crack and clamped it in place. I left it for 24 hours. Now, that repair is stronger than it was before the crack showed up.

Unlike other types of glue, ABS adhesive welds two pieces of ABS together.