IGNORED

First Gen carbs on a Vmax

hmlemons0608

I recently started a restoration on an 85 Vmax for my son. The bike has only 11K miles on it but has been sitting since 1999. So far most everything has been in pretty good shape, considering the lengthy down time. The carbs, however are history. I am having a difficult time finding a set of carbs for it that are not way out of his price range, but I can find first gen Venture carbs fairly reasonable. Would these fit on the vmax? I'm sure if they do, there would be some loss in performance, but would they suffice until he can find OE carbs.

The Carb Bodies and most internals are the same, and physically fit on the Vmax Intake, but the Jets are way different inbetween Vmax and 1Gen Ventures.

I'd not run a Vmax Engine with the jetting of a Venture, it's not just a loss in Perfomance, the Vmax will run way too lean, damage will occur ...

You could completely rejet a 1Gen Carb-Set, but when it's all done, you'll have spend a LOT of Money. There are three Jets inside every Carb-Bowl, two on Intake and behind the Side Cover plus the Emulsion Tube (aka Needle Jet) and the Jet Needle.

The 83-85 Ventures are 34mm venturies, The 86-93 Ventures are 35mm. All 1st gen VMaxs are 35mm.

Another somewhat large hurdle is the left front carb on the Ventures does not have a 'boss' on the casting that the VMax's do. This is where the choke lever mount attaches, it is a must have to use VMax choke.

As Squeeze said, jetting is also quite different.

Picture is of carb rack upside down, lever screws into the long boss that goes off picture to the top. Screwdriver is into screw from bottom of picture.

If you try to use Venture setup, then you need to install a cabled system that is connected to left hand grip housing.

I have modified 2 sets of Venture carbs completly to VMax specs, on both I replaced the left front carb body, and put $300~$400 in new parts to get them in good shape.

Gary

vmax choke lever screw.jpg