IGNORED

TimeOut camper - recommended pressure in tires and RSV rear shock

XV1100SE

Just bought a 2001 TimeOut from BradT and although I did a search, I couldn't find specifics on recommended pressures. Hoping someone with a TimeOut or similar camper will comment.

I have a Harbor Freight Tag-Along and usually run 25psi in the 8" tires and about 30psi in the rear shock. Riding two up combined weight of about 330lbs. I moved the box back 5" which gives me more lee-way with balance so I can offset the cooler on the tongue and get a reasonable tongue weight.

I picked up the TimeOut yesterday and riding home on the highway, 25psi rear shock, 47psi in the 8" tires on the TimeOut... trailer pulled straight at 120km/hr (75mph) but noticed the front of the bike felt a little loose (very slight floating sensation) and felt like the trailer was "bouncing" the receiver on the bike a bit. Tires on the bike were 37psi front, 40psi rear. Front forks at 4psi. This is the normal tire/shock/fork pressures for me.

Trailer was empty - by spec, weight about 350 lbs, 20 lbs tongue weight. I rode solo...so about 200 lbs.

I'm used to the Tag-Along where at highway speeds can cruise in 5th. Riding in 5th the bike sounded like it was under a bit of stress but in 4th rpm's were higher than where I'd normally shift.

So... based on rider/passenger weight.... recommended :

- RSV rear shock pressure.

- TimeOut tire pressure

- 5th gear riding - would 4th be the best or 5th at what speed?

Tires on my TimeOut say 60psi max, so I run 50psi and it feels good to me.

If your bike feels 'loose' or 'floaty' that is most likely an issue with tongue weight... not tire pressure. You said the trailer by spec is 20lb tongue weight. DO NOT rely on that alone. You need to get a scale. I use a digital fish scale from walmart.

I have found my Time-Out feels best with my RSV with a tongue weight between 25-30 lbs. Based on what you posted... sounds like a too heavy tongue weight.

Spec weights do not take into consideration a lot of things such coolers, spare tires etc. Weighing your tongue weight is the single most important thing to do for a good trailer pull.

Edited by Venturous

You also mentioned it felt this way at 75 mph. While I know the bike can do this easily enough... and I ain't yo momma... IMHO, that is not real advisable. Just try to image the braking distance alone... :shock3:

My bike will pull my Time-Out at 65mph on interstate fine in 5th gear. But any slower or up hills... I drop to 4th. My Time-Out fully rally loaded is around 650lbs. That is with AC, extra room, and our gear.