IGNORED

Changing my diet

Freebird

Your blood sugar will drop significantly when you do one simple, but difficult thing: eliminate ALL sugar from your diet. I am not aware of any sugar, in any form, that is actually good for you.

You will have to read the label on everything you eat to see what the sugar content is. You will also need to call an immediate halt to almost all fruit juices, any and all sodas and the great big world of carbohydrates (bread, pasta, cereal, etc.).

Good Luck! You can do it... :)

Don you definitely don't want to start on insulin. It sucks. Mine is bad enough that I am on an insulin pump. I fought it for a long time, but it is the only way that I have been able to keep my sugar in check. So 24 hours a day I wear the pump. And while I am fat and need to drop some weight, mine is caused by a non working pancreas. My pancreas does not produce enough (for the most part none) insulin on it's own. So while most normal people have some insulin being released into their body constantly, I have none. So even losing 100 pounds would not help me. And there is no way to exclude all sugars and carbs from my diet. So I guess I will be on the pump forever, but I still have perfect vision and no other diabetes related ailments.

I've been in the food business for some years,,, ya about 50 of them.

It has always amazed me how the food industry can respond to the demands of the buying public by producing low sugar, low fat and low everything else and still keep the prices down. If they no longer add the fat there has to be less weight in the product, so with less weight it should sell for more money,,, so what is it that keeps the weight up to make the profits?

How do they do that and still make money,, and if we demand something else tomorrow, that'll happen soon enough as well.

What it has taught me: Beware, beware, beware!!!! If it's advertized as New, Healthy, Organic, All Natural, Low Fat, Low Sugar, and any other terminology that the manufactures would deem appropriate, it most likely isn't. We need to listen (and read) closely to what is said, not what they want us to think what was said. Even the 'fresh produce' off of the produce counter at the food store isn't necessarily what you might think you want it to be.

By the proper (read: improper) use of chemicals, sugar substitutes and other ingredients, manufactures can actually produce a product that will read to be 100% healthy but is actually a lot worse than if you were to avoid the LOW Fat,(etc) foods altogether.

So read the labels and define what is actually said, not what you are led to believe was said, and stay away from cheaper Private Label brands. Go with the national products,,, I think you might be better off.

I've been in the food business for some years,,, ya about 50 of them.

It has always amazed me how the food industry can respond to the demands of the buying public by producing low sugar, low fat and low everything else and still keep the prices down. If they no longer add the fat there has to be less weight in the product, so with less weight it should sell for more money,,, so what is it that keeps the weight up to make the profits?

How do they do that and still make money,, and if we demand something else tomorrow, that'll happen soon enough as well.

What it has taught me: Beware, beware, beware!!!! If it's advertized as New, Healthy, Organic, All Natural, Low Fat, Low Sugar, and any other terminology that the manufactures would deem appropriate, it most likely isn't. We need to listen (and read) closely to what is said, not what they want us to think what was said. Even the 'fresh produce' off of the produce counter at the food store isn't necessarily what you might think you want it to be.

By the proper (read: improper) use of chemicals, sugar substitutes and other ingredients, manufactures can actually produce a product that will read to be 100% healthy but is actually a lot worse than if you were to avoid the LOW Fat,(etc) foods altogether.

So read the labels and define what is actually said, not what you are led to believe was said, and stay away from cheaper Private Label brands. Go with the national products,,, I think you might be better off.

Well put Carl! also ITim4:3-5 thus saith!:thumbsup2:

Very good advice except don't think the national brand products are going to be any better or healthier than any of the others. Whoever is tasked with buying the food needs to learn what the nutrition labels and ingredient lists are telling you so you can make an informed decision on whether you actually want to or even should eat it.

Diet stuff is junk food and so is low fat stuff that will only fool your mind and/or your body into thinking it is good for you. Choose real food, as in the foods that are grown or raised, and never choose ultra refined or highly processed foods. After that all you need to worry about is how much to shovel in.

As for totally eliminating sugar, it can't be done. Everything you eat gets turned into sugar by the body's digestive process. Aim for reducing the amount of extra sugar which also includes fake sugars. To put it into perspective, the recommended max daily dose of added sugar is 8 teaspoons. One soda contains about 10 teaspoons of sugar. Alcohol is almost pure sugar...

Sorry guys. :buttkick: