IGNORED

side stand kill switch ??

Okay so when I have the bike in gear and the side stand down with clutch held in the dash electronics work. Shift into neutral and they go out. Put back in gear and dash electronics work again. Did some reading and figured to try to put in a jumper and see if the side stand switch is the problem. Most threads I found show a 2 wire system. This on seems to be 3 wire so I have no idea how to jumper it. Well I decided to try and crank it with the side stand unplugged. Cranked wright up and all symptoms are the same.

My question is should it crank with switch unplugged? Beings as the local Yamaha Shop says it a discontinued part whats my next recourse.help please as Im lost.............tried selling the bike and its not moving so maybe would with a few repairs

Thanks in advance

David

The side stand switch has nothing to do with cranking.

Its purpose is to kill the engine, by shutting off the ignition, if you should put it in gear while the side stand is down.

The side stand switch does this by connecting two of the wires to ground the third wire. to bypass the side stand switch for testing you connect all 3 wires together. this will tell the computer that the side stand is up. Just unplugging it tells the computer that the side stand is down.

As long as you are at the side stand switch connector, check with an ohm meter to see if there is a connection from the black wire of the bike side of the connector to battery negative. it should show very close to zero ohms. If not then you are chasing a ground problem.

I think you've probably got an electrical gremlin unrelated to the side stand switch.

Does everything work normally with the side stand up? Why are you pulling the clutch - is there an issue there?

The side stand switch, side stand relay, clutch switch and neutral indicator all work together to disable the ignition and/or starter when the side stand is down with the motorcycle in gear.

My guess is you've got a poor connection (most likely ground, as Flyinfool indicated) and the right combination of those switches provides an alternate path.

I think you've probably got an electrical gremlin unrelated to the side stand switch.

Does everything work normally with the side stand up? Why are you pulling the clutch - is there an issue there?

The side stand switch, side stand relay, clutch switch and neutral indicator all work together to disable the ignition and/or starter when the side stand is down with the motorcycle in gear.

My guess is you've got a poor connection (most likely ground, as Flyinfool indicated) and the right combination of those switches provides an alternate path.

No, nothing electrical on the dash works with the side stand up.Pulling the clutch because the bike will start in gear on side stand so I was trying to keep it from moving. I noticed this on a ride to the office to pick up check The dash electronics went out so I figured I had a fuse pop out (this has happened before) . When I put the side stand down I expected the bike to shut off and it didnt and then the dash electronics came on. Side stand down everything except horn works. Side stand down nothing works in the dash but speedo.BIke in neautral and no dasd electronics work.

Bottom line is the only thing on the dash the side stand should affect is the side stand indicator. The fact that the side stand does not kill the engine is a concern.

Still think it's an electrical gremlin somewhere other than the side stand.

Bottom line is the only thing on the dash the side stand should affect is the side stand indicator. The fact that the side stand does not kill the engine is a concern.

Still think it's an electrical gremlin somewhere other than the side stand.

thanks.........thats what i thought but it is whats going on. Guess I will either wait till it sells and relay what I have been told or start chasing the ground. I just have no idea where to start. From what I understand theres a lot of them to check

...The dash electronics went out so I figured I had a fuse pop out (this has happened before)...

Do you still have the glass fuses? If so, that's a place those darn gremlins LOVE to hide & play around. Change over to a blade fuse box, PRONTO. IIRC, Skydoc sells a kit, or even get one from an auto parts store.

I had electrical issues that came and went, I replaced the fusebox, and so far (knock on wood) those gremlins fell off and haven't found their way back.

-Andrew