IGNORED

Flasher relay replacement

I have tried to research this bot not quite clear yet. The flasher/hazard relay can be replaced with a standard 12V flasher relay from canadian tire? Use the electronic one not the thermal one as they require load on the wire.

Thanks in advance.

Possibly on an 83. From 84 on, the flasher relay was combined with the start circuit relay. This would have most likely been a specific application relay that would have limited use outside Yamaha.

Gary

I have tried to research this bot not quite clear yet. The flasher/hazard relay can be replaced with a standard 12V flasher relay from canadian tire? Use the electronic one not the thermal one as they require load on the wire.

Thanks in advance.

Why would you want to go with a 12v auto flasher?

Mike

Availability and they operate on the exact same principle. :)

IMO it is an easy wiring job but dont want to frankenstein the bike for future owners to try and figure out.

Finding the relay unit is still available $180 from most bike parts suppliers but $100 from online vendors. + $30-$50 shipping

If you do wire in an external flasher, you will also loose the self canceling feature since that is also inside of that same Flasher/Start relay module.

I have thought of trying to disassemble an OEM module to see if it possible to retain the self cancel, but wire in an electronic flasher that will flash correctly regardless of load. But I need to find a OEM flasher with a bad start relay, I hate to chop up a good one.