IGNORED

I have an oil leak that I cannot find.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/15/c69eb1b8d4781a31c878cfb1dfe31549.jpg

I can't find it to save my life. Only does it once it's warmed up and ridden, I don't always have an oil spot (the small one in the picture is from the bike) I don't get it. I've had my hands all over it and I cannot seem to find the source, but then again it doesn't always leave a spot so I'm not sure it's leaking all the time.

Also: Anybody by any chance have (or have a source for) the saddlebag brackets with the knobs on the end? Trying really hard to avoid having to pay dealer price AND wait a week and a half after I place the order.

Not overfilled, it's been reading perfect in the glass since I bought it. I didn't change the oil last, PO did, but since I bought it I've put at least 300 miles on it and it just starts leaking out of nowhere.

Found a dime sized spot under it at work one day after it'd been sitting for a good nine hours. Not a clue what started it leaking. PO is a mechanic, aside from wiring mess ups he always treated it well.

The 83 and 84 original airbox drain ran to the frame downtube on left side of radiator...and they dripped to the ground....is it dripping from that hose.

Yamaha later redesigned so airbox drain tee'd into crankcase vent hose so oil would trickle back to crankcase. Earlier bikes were modified maybe yours wasn't?

Okay.....

the mod is on the drain hose from the airbox......follow the line and see if it goes to a tee in the crankcase vent hose.

If you run the oil level above half full in the sightglass, and at freeway speeds, it will carry a little oil into airbox....the drain removes it. Thats why post 2 asked about overfull. Check oil on mainstand, after it has been shutdown for about 5 minutes.

Edited by Neil86

Also: Anybody by any chance have (or have a source for) the saddlebag brackets with the knobs on the end? Trying really hard to avoid having to pay dealer price AND wait a week and a half after I place the order.

What bars are you looking for ? If you can post a picture I can look at my 2 - 84 parts bikes and see if they are on them. Are the same bars on an 83 on an 84 ??

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/15/c69eb1b8d4781a31c878cfb1dfe31549.jpg

I can't find it to save my life. Only does it once it's warmed up and ridden, I don't always have an oil spot (the small one in the picture is from the bike) I don't get it. I've had my hands all over it and I cannot seem to find the source, but then again it doesn't always leave a spot so I'm not sure it's leaking all the time.

Here is a pdf of the 1984 TSB about the air box drain. Note there are two hoses attached to the air box; the larger one evacuates crankcase vapors and it comes from the 'twinkie'. The smaller tube from the left front of the air box drains accumulated oil from the air box through a filter located near the lower front left engine to frame mount.

The modification involves relocating the terminus of the smaller drain hose to a T in the crankcase vent line.

attachment.php?attachmentid=86991&stc=1&d=1410874306

KIC...

Comingbackdown was looking for the plates with the "pins" on the backside of the 83-85

saddlebags...see his previously posted pic where there are damaged. Heads sheared off.

Lower bag has an undamaged one.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/sickmusician/Bike/IMG_20140815_010922.jpg

Edited by Neil86

I had a similar leak looked for solution many times. You'll love this, stuff a rag in from backside. Lasted a whole season, then I started smelling oil, changed rag and viola. Call me what you want, it's not fixed, but I don't have a drip every time on my garage any longer.:whistling:

Well I am at BWI Airport heading back to Arizona after 7 weeks of work TDY. I have some bags off of one of the 84's. The bags aren't in the best condition but those tabs should be. I will try to get over where the bikes are stored and take a look at them in the next couple of days when I get back.

KIC...

Comingbackdown was looking for the plates with the "pins" on the backside of the 83-85

saddlebags...see his previously posted pic where there are damaged. Heads sheared off.

Lower bag has an undamaged one.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/sickmusician/Bike/IMG_20140815_010922.jpg

I'm assuming that I don't have to replace anything just pulling the filter cover?

Also: While we're at it here, thoughts on Iridium plugs? Also: How the crap do you get to the plugs TO change 'em? Don't get me wrong, that Yamaha manual has been really helpful but be damned if it ain't aimed at guys used to working on bikes. Not much help in a lot of cases. I'm used to working on cars, but there isn't a thing easy to get to here.

So, I tore the bike apart to attempt to solve my turn signal issue.

I unplugged the flasher and checked for voltage on the brown/white wires. Flip the signal switch on, and I've got the least bit shy of twelve volts. That's good. Took the cover off the flasher, looked it over looking for obviously bad solder joints, checked continuity between the terminals on it, made sure that the mechanism for breaking the circuit is in fact mobile. Put it back together, plug it in, and go to test the connection at the hazard switch where it branches.

I had a multimeter probe in one of the cavities in that connector, the second one I read, 12 volts. Then I bumped the signal switch. Flash, flash, flash. WTH?!

I have video as well. My apologies for the TERRIBLE camera work. This is what I get for going "Gee, I better whip out my phone and video this!"

Should play nice if you go here:

http://s120.photobucket.com/user/sickmusician/media/VID_20140924_002534-1.mp4.html

Also addresses a couple other little issues...

I unplugged the flasher and checked for voltage on the brown/white wires. Flip the signal switch on, and I've got the least bit shy of twelve volts. That's good.

If you are saying you have 12 V on Br/W wire at turn signal flasher with it unplugged....no thats not a good thing. Brown is power into flasher, Brown/White is output to the hazard flasher switch. Power is feeding back from the hazard switch.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/25/17c477801fcadc3be4a0d282b82f3c32.jpg

So here's the flasher connector. With it unplugged, the only pin I'm getting voltage at with the key on is the topmost as shown here, brown/white wire.

While I'm at it, what the hell am I holding in the second picture?

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/25/af50310b126ce4a6c7d6584820d94d08.jpg

Okay, maybe it's not brown/white. God I need to have my eyes looked at. Brown, so there should be voltage there. I still have NO clue why everything suddenly started working again. So I'll clean all the connections and grease them, then I get to change my clutch fluid again and hope and pray that's my issue.