IGNORED

Blocking pops ups software?

cowpuc

One issue. Until recently Linux didn't offer anything major in the way of gaming or high end digital audio.

Some things still wind you up using Windows. That said, I do have to agree. Linux is a far superior OS design. Don't be fooled though. The reason it has no malware issues isn't because it's invincible. The user base is too small to benefit most cyber crime.

Guest tx2sturgis
One issue. Until recently Linux didn't offer anything major in the way of gaming or high end digital audio.

True, but I'm not a gamer...so safe email and safe surfing are much more important to me...and I hate fixing Winders all the time.

Some things still wind you up using Windows. That said, I do have to agree. Linux is a far superior OS design. Don't be fooled though. The reason it has no malware issues isn't because it's invincible. The user base is too small to benefit most cyber crime.

User base is too small?

More than 60 % of all web servers worldwide and over 900 million Android (which is based on linux) smartphones are on linux...linux is embedded in everything from Tivo, Roku, and blue-ray players to car navigation systems, alarm systems, mainframes, cash registers, digital music instruments and players, big budget hollywood movies using computer graphics are made on linux computers...the list goes on and on... thats not really a small user base at all. Personal desktop and laptop use of Linux is limited to a few percent...but its climbing rapidly.

The fact that linux is modular and is different under the hood, and was designed AFTER the internet and malware existed, and the fact that it sandboxes applications and doesnt use system registries and dll libraries like windows, makes it a malware-resistant OS at its very core...and with over 600 distros, that are community monitored for vulnerabilities and patched if one is found, makes linux a tough nut to crack for the bad guys.

Not saying it CANT happen...but if it ever does, it will be fixed and we will move on. Linux vulnerabilities, when found, tend to be mistakes that the user makes, rather than exploitable code in the software itself.

So its not perfect...but it sure works well for most of us who run it...and its FREE!

:happy34:

If youre using Firefox and having issues with things just not working right or your settings have been changed by malware do a reset to default to get it back to new.

In the top menu click on Help, Troubleshooting. then look at the top right side of the screen and youll see a box the has a button that will reset Firefox back to the settings it had when you downloaded it. It fixes most issues, but you will have to re-install your add ons. (but be careful, they are likely what caused some of your issues in the first place :) )

Brian

If youre using Firefox and having issues with things just not working right or your settings have been changed by malware do a reset to default to get it back to new.

In the top menu click on Help, Troubleshooting. then look at the top right side of the screen and youll see a box the has a button that will reset Firefox back to the settings it had when you downloaded it. It fixes most issues, but you will have to re-install your add ons. (but be careful, they are likely what caused some of your issues in the first place :) )

Brian

Well I gotta say - THANK YOU to all who assisted with this one!! I did most, if not all of your suggestions and got things down to just a few small ads popping up and I couldnt stop Firefox from opening with some weird ad page when it first opened.. Than friesman came along with the above suggestion,, worked thru it and now, even the small stuff is GONE!!!

For anyone who may be following this thread.. On the version of Firefox I am using , I found the help menu by clicking on the far right to icon just under the "X" (as instructed by Brian), it is the icon that has 3 bars on it. Than I found out that the "help" button is located at the bottom right on the screen that pops up and that icon has a "?" on it - this version does not actually say "help". Clicked on the "?" and sure enough, there was a troubleshooting icon (just click on "troubleshooting" in the list).. Another window pops up with a "reset firefox" icon.. Clicked on that and BINGO!!! OUTSTANDING:clap2::thumbsup:

Brian, I want you to know I didnt type that out meaning to sound unthankful or to be a smarty pants. I only did so thinking there may be someone out there with a skull almost as thick as mine who has been having some difficulties like I was having, was following this thread, found your post and was having a hard time finding the reset. Thanks to you, and all the rest of you folks, for keeping me going on here (now ya'll know how to get rid of me)!!

Puc

I am so happy that it worked for you, I apologize for not stating that different versions of Firefox are slightly different. For me, this is the quickest fix, after removing any malware. Absolutely no offence taken, I am glad you posted so it may help someone else.

Ride on! Enjoy

Brian

BTW there is a similar reset in Internet Explorer but I cant remember the details anyomore...but if you poke around under the tools/internet options/Advanced you should find the reset somewhere there.

As I said phones and computers. I really have no desire to deal with that horse manure on a mobile OS. It's bad enough on a PC.

Ask me questions about Linux? I know a few things but I am FAR from being an expert. I did manage to set up Apache on CLI and got Ventrilo and no-ip's DUC set up. I'm not running the server version of the OS, but that's what I use it for, and I try to only use the terminal. If I don't know how to do something with the terminal and I need to do it, I learn to do it with the terminal.

The reset option in IE and Firefox is a GODSEND! Solves so many RIDICULOUS little issues. You can technically reset Chrome as well if you delete your user. Back up your bookmarks though. It doesn't save them.

I just went thru a bout with pop-ups and hi-jacked links. Here's what we found after running a lot of blockers.. virus checkers... ad nausium. The problem wasn't with my computer, and that's why we couldn't find anything, but in my Wi-Fi router. Somehow?? The settings were corrupted and it was the culprit. Taking me to sites other than where I clicked and mainly it was when I clicked on a hot link taking me away from the site I was on. Changed the settings back to what they should be and got rid of that sucker!!

Memo to self: Gotta stay out of naked chat rooms.... :whistling:

I just went thru a bout with pop-ups and hi-jacked links. Here's what we found after running a lot of blockers.. virus checkers... ad nausium. The problem wasn't with my computer, and that's why we couldn't find anything, but in my Wi-Fi router. Somehow?? The settings were corrupted and it was the culprit. Taking me to sites other than where I clicked and mainly it was when I clicked on a hot link taking me away from the site I was on. Changed the settings back to what they should be and got rid of that sucker!!

Memo to self: Gotta stay out of naked chat rooms.... :whistling:

Thanks Jack,, I didnt even know a router could do that:confused24:! To reset it did you just turn it off and than back on again (I do that frequently, with my daughter moving back home we have 3 computers working thru our router and it likes to lock up)..

About that Memo,,, now that I think about it,, all my puter problems may have started back when hanging out in the ladies room too.. Maybe that YamaMama is behind all this,, hmmmmm:stirthepot::stirthepot:

Thanks Jack,, I didnt even know a router could do that:confused24:! To reset it did you just turn it off and than back on again (I do that frequently, with my daughter moving back home we have 3 computers working thru our router and it likes to lock up)..

About that Memo,,, now that I think about it,, all my puter problems may have started back when hanging out in the ladies room too.. Maybe that YamaMama is behind all this,, hmmmmm:stirthepot::stirthepot:

Nope, I wish it were that simple... You need to go back into the supporting router software and reset the proto-calls. Something I know nothing about, but I'm so glad to have a daughter that married a hacker who does... :whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis
The problem wasn't with my computer, and that's why we couldn't find anything, but in my Wi-Fi router. Somehow?? The settings were corrupted and it was the culprit.

Thanks Jack,, I didnt even know a router could do that:confused24:!
Routers can be hacked...they are a computer running an operating system, just like your desktop. And they are directly facing the nasty, outside world of the internet.

First thing to do is go to the administration setup page* and change the admin password. Make it secure...and write it down! You can also change the wifi password but this will require you to change the password on ALL of your wireless connected devices. If you do change the admin password, it will probably reboot and you will have to login again using the new password.

Next:

Turn on Firewall.

Turn off UPnP.

Turn off WPS.

Save the settings, and the router will probably reboot itself again.

These are the minimums for good router security.

Lots of other things can be done, but this is basic security for any home-based wifi router.

*Note:

The router admin page is setup by the maker of the router and it varies somewhat between brands and models.

Usually its a number such as 192.168.1.254 or something like that. Look it up in your router manual or google your router brand and model and include "admin page" in the search. When you have the info, just type that number exactly in to your browser URL window. (not the search box) Hit enter.

Also:

If you go into your router admin page and change the wifi password, while you are accessing it with a wifi connected computer, you will be bumped off of it immediately.

To avoid that, either keep the wifi password the same, or use a direct connect ethernet cable from your computer to the router.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Routers can be hacked...they are a computer running an operating system, just like your desktop. And they are directly facing the nasty, outside world of the internet.

First thing to do is go to the administration setup page* and change the admin password. Make it secure...and write it down!

The router admin page is setup by the maker of the router and it varies somewhat between brands and models.

Usually its a number such as 192.168.1.254 or something like that. Look it up in your router manual or google your router brand and model and include "admin page" in the search. When you have the info, just type that number exactly in to your browser URL window. (not the search box) Hit enter.

EXACTLY! All of the routers out there have all of the default admin user names and passwords listed on the internet. Most of them are Admin, Admin. When you hit the reset button on your router you reset it's password to the default. It doesn't take a genius to realize that you don't want everyone to know the most powerful username and password of the most critical part of your internet security.

Guest tx2sturgis
EXACTLY! All of the routers out there have all of the default admin user names and passwords listed on the internet. Most of them are Admin, Admin. When you hit the reset button on your router you reset it's password to the default. It doesn't take a genius to realize that you don't want everyone to know the most powerful username and password of the most critical part of your internet security.

On some routers there are two types of 'reset'...depending on the particular unit it sometimes goes like this:

Soft reset, or partial reset, clears some user settings, recent DNS tables, and restores a mis-behaving router. But most user settings are retained, and the passwords are not reset. This can be done from the admin page remotely, or sometimes there is a physical reset button on the router, that you push momentarily.

Hard, or full reset, completely clears all user settings, including passwords. This is usually a full firmware reboot, meaning you have to push and HOLD (for maybe 10 seconds) a reset button on the bottom or back of the router.

Sometimes there are other ways to reset a router, depending on the brand.

Neither of these will 'fix' security issues, but they might get a misbehaving router to start working again....at least for a while.