IGNORED

Indentifing Mufflers

utadventure

The PO had a set of loud pipes on the bike when I bought it. I put the stock mufflers on the bike on Saturday.

I've looked all over the loud pipes and can't find anything to identify them. Surprising but I find nothing. Here's what I know:

They are slip-ons, they have a mount that matches up to the RSV muffler mount under the saddlebags, they have two (2) SAE allen head screws in the tail section (I assume for removal of the baffle).

The loud mufflers, I can see through completely. I'm thinking that they might be great if I repack the baffles. If someone knows what brand they are, I can likely find a sound clip and decide if it's worth the effort.

Wondering minds want to know........ (wondering not wandering)

the steel wool will last until it makes them rust out, it will create rust and hold moisture.

go to the motorcross section of the stealership and get a good quality 2 stroke packing kit and install and it will last a great deal longer than most, because it's designed to run at a higher temp.

I have the bubs on mine and the nasty boys (slash cut) on the wife's bike.

Dave, when repacking the mufflers use Ceramic packing. Also a little 0000 steel wool will make those babies shine right up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkBrho_q2GI]Aero Exhaust Ceramic vs. Magnaflow Rockwool Muffler Packing - YouTube[/ame]

I've never repacked mufflers before. Did you find a good source for the ceramic packing material?

I picked up the stuff I used off eBay when I rebuilt the Bubs, but found several sources after doing a google for I guess it's starting to catch on.... :)

I have these pipes on my RSTD. Here's alink to what I used to pack mine a couple years ago. It's in 2 layers so I seperated the layers and cut a piece to fit around teh baffle. it was a little loose at first but after running it for a week or 2 the packing expanded to fill the void. http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/muffler-packing-11-inch-x-16-inch-x-1-inch/part/DS-160-1112

I have these pipes on my RSTD. Here's alink to what I used to pack mine a couple years ago. It's in 2 layers so I seperated the layers and cut a piece to fit around teh baffle. it was a little loose at first but after running it for a week or 2 the packing expanded to fill the void. http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/muffler-packing-11-inch-x-16-inch-x-1-inch/part/DS-160-1112

Thanks for the lead! Any chance you have an audio file after you repacked them?