IGNORED

Headlight fuse blowing when put in gear!

Dale124

Well, it seems I do indeed have trouble after putting in my passing lamps. They were working normally when I installed them Friday, but when I went to go for a ride this morning, I noticed I had no headlight or passing lamps. When I got back home I checked the fuse and found it had blown. I checked the current draw when all the lights were on, and it was 10 amps, which is well below the 15 amp fuse, so I put in a replacement fuse, and I was back in business with all lights on. I went to leave, backing my bike out of the garage in nuetral, and I could see the lights reflection in my truck. As soon as I put the bike in gear, the lights went out! Grrrrrr.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dale

If you route the wires through the fairing behind the metal frame (easier) rather than between the plastic and metal (harder) the wires will pinch when you are making a turn or parking the bike. Blowing the fuse.

Mike

Correct install

[ATTACH]85996[/ATTACH]

I think thats what I said in the other post. I had done exactly that after lowering my forks in the triple tree. I didnt know it at the time but thru leing the passing lights rest on the fender and moving them around the wires got up into the stops and got pinched. Mine blew a fuse, so I fixed that. then was fine then a few days later pop gone again.

What I remember about his telling of connecting the passing lights he used the high beam as the power source for the lights. Which would only allow those light to work with the high beam on if I'm Not mistaken. which completely opposite of how the dealer wires them. I wire them thru a relay and use the power supply from the aux (cig socket) to trip the relay.

Now I know you say it is on a 15amp fuse etc. but here is a possibility its just plain drawing to much power. double check the bulbs. If they happen to be 55w they are probably drawing to much power. Most of the fog lights bulbs when you go to replace them are 55w, you have to be watchful to find 35w jobs.

I found the issue, thankfully. It seems that when I put the visors on, I was putting everything back together on the fairing, and installed that long screw that goes through the headlight after I put the passing lights back on the frame. Well, this long screw went right through one of the wires from the lamp harness. After fixing that, the problem is gone.... Whew. All is good again, thankfully.

Dale