IGNORED

Blowing fuses!

Godlover

Well, I posted this on the Road Star Clinic but seeking help here as well. I have an 08 Fuel Injected Road Star. Went to ride it a week ago and it wouldn't start. Took awhile but the fuse for the FI was blown. Replaced fuse - bike started right up. Got ready to ride - started the bike and the moment I put it in gear - fuse blows and bike dies. Ran through the codes again - and no codes came up. Replaced fuse - same story - put it in gear and fuse blows. Any suggestions? I am not great a chasing down electrical problems!!

OH MY I hate to be captain obvious, but there is a dead short. Not having a wire diagram is a disadvantage. First thing I would do is as best you can follow the wires back from the injectors and I know its going to go into a jumbo harness, but best you cant follow it around and see if its pinched somewhere. Sorry not more help.

Use a wiring diagram to find out what all runs off that fuse. I can't think of anything that would only activate in gear. Therefore I think when you put it in gear the engine shifts position and pinches a wire someplace shorting out the circuit. I would either be tracing wires from the fuse or looking for a pinched harness. Was any work done on the bike recently? Might be a starting point.

Good Luck

Mike

It sounds like a fault in the interlock circuits (sidestand relay or starting circuit cutoff relay)

due to the timing of the event and that it runs fine in neutral.

So this fuse is for FI only...or its the ignition fuse thats blowing?

They call it the Fuel Injection Fuse. When it blows - you have power but you can't start it. It will turn over but won't start. The manual says there are five possibilities for it not starting. I checked the codes and they all check out okay. I will not have a chance to work on the bike until next week. Just looking for advice so I have it in hand when I begin.

You have power on the bike, IE: lights, horn signal etc, but will not fire? Or you have power at the injector? I dont see the fuse marked injector blowing and still having power. I think possibly if it has not thrown a code, best bet is a pinched or shorted wire. It shorts out so fast direct to ground it kills power before the system runs diagnostics. Could be a broken sidestand switch inside or same with clutch I suppose. Spring broken and when you move it say a piece of spring shorts out against something inside. To many variables to sit here and tell you each one.

Has the tank been off or chrome or something added prior to the SNAFU?

You have power on the bike, IE: lights, horn signal etc, but will not fire? Or you have power at the injector? I dont see the fuse marked injector blowing and still having power. I think possibly if it has not thrown a code, best bet is a pinched or shorted wire. It shorts out so fast direct to ground it kills power before the system runs diagnostics. Could be a broken sidestand switch inside or same with clutch I suppose. Spring broken and when you move it say a piece of spring shorts out against something inside. To many variables to sit here and tell you each one.

Has the tank been off or chrome or something added prior to the SNAFU?

tank hasn't been off this year - ---- need to find time to work on it......

Can you post the wiring schematic?

Replaced fuse - started bike - put it in gear - and yippee - it kept running. Put it in gear 5 times and it kept running---- Yippee!!! Hopped on the bike - got a 1/2 block - and fuse blew! At least I rode uphill and was able to coast into the garage. It is parked for now.

Use a wiring diagram to find out what all runs off that fuse. I can't think of anything that would only activate in gear. Therefore I think when you put it in gear the engine shifts position and pinches a wire someplace shorting out the circuit. I would either be tracing wires from the fuse or looking for a pinched harness. Was any work done on the bike recently? Might be a starting point.

Good Luck

Mike

How about the kickstand switch that activates a kill switch if shifting into gear with the stand down???

Do you have a link to the complete wiring diagram with the legend?

I have a manual but no link. I really haven't had any time to check things so hopefully tomorrow night I can start the bike and start moving some wires around looking for something that grounds out. Thanks for the advice!!

Replaced fuse - started bike - started to wiggle wires - got to the FI relay - wiggled it - bike died. Replaced fuse again - started bike - wiggled relay - bike kept running - idled for 10 minutes without a hitch. Shut off engine - pulled Relay to check wires - they looked good - put relay back - turned key - fuse blew before I hit the starter button. replaced fuse - fuse blew again. Thinking it can be a bad relay. Yamaha shop is closed today - have to wait until tomorrow!! UGH! Hope the relay is the problem!