IGNORED

My 1st Oil Change on 1st gen

Drained oil...everything looked good.

Took filter assembly off, but couldn't get filter out of it's home. Finally used the socket and turned the bolt, while holding filter. "screwed" right out.

Underneath, one spring. Thought maybe a washer to go between filter and spring, but nada.

My bike does not have an O-ring around the bolt outside, rather a seal...similar to the two seals on either side of, and part of, the filter. It wasn't leaking so I'll put all back the same way.

Put some oil on filter O-ring and tightened up to spec.

Note: The drain bolt was on tighter than 31ftlbs. No O-ring or gasket there either.

I did test the oil warning light and it worked.

Now to run the bike and see what happens...

Not bad at all...although I'm still a bit intimidated laying under or near the bike.

Funny, I've rebuilt engines before and crawled under cars for fun and to save a few bux, but this bike scares me...and I DID strap the center stand open to the bike frame so it wouldn't accidently fall off forward.

Maybe getting to be an ole fart has something to do with it. I know I'm not invincible! :backinmyday:

Thought so... about the washer. Well...next time I'll put one on there.

No leaks during run up...but have to wait until the weather cools down so I can go for a real ride and see if I did everything right.

BTW, the Fram type filter did not have O-rings with it but the Wix 24933 did. So got two of those..

Thanks, guys....