IGNORED

The 'El Cheepo' Trike Saga

Condor

My close friends know that I can't pass up a bargain.... So back in February I brought home a '04 RSMV in beautiful condition. Which I didn't need 'cause I already owned a '99 and '07. But it was a bargain.... :whistling:

I've been getting on in years and had been watching the local CL ads for, and at, trikes. Lo and behold up pops a local ad for a set of Voyager training wheels, with two hardware set ups ,for 2 grand. So I went and looked at it... It also was in very nice condition, and by the serial number turned out to be an '06. The owner said the lowest he would go would be $1500 with the one Venture kit. So I said I'd think on it and let him know. The next day I emailed him an offer of $1200 for the Voyager with the Venture kit. He replied... "No Thanks". So for the next month and a half I kept seeing it on CL. I finally email him again and mention the $1200 offer was still good. He emailed me back to come get it... :) Now my trailer is 57" wide inside, the fenders of the Voyager have a 58" spread. Dang!! So no problem I load it in sideways. Getting it in was a piece of cake. Getting it off was a different matter. A tree limb, two come-along's, and lots of rope finally got it moved.

So now I have a really nice '04 Midnight, and equally as nice '06 Voyager Kit. Total dollars spent.. $4200. Yep that's $3 grand for the RSMV....

Called Easy Rider to see if he had anything to do as I could really use the help putting this thing together. 2 weeks later we're wrenching. We figured it looked simple enough so we bolted the Voyager on because we were so good at figuring things out. Finished up and went to take it for a test ride. This is where it gets funny...sorta.. I ease it down on the street from the front yard. A hairy experience since I kept trying to keep it from falling over. Started down the street and less than 2 houses down I'm almost in my neighbors front living room. It traumatized me. I sat there for 10 minutes before getting up enough nerve to very slowly head it back to the front lawn. That bike was evil!! I let it sit where I parked it for two days. Meanwhile looking at installation videos on the Voyager website, talking to the factory techs, and re-reading the installation manual (which is basically worthless).

Two weeks later we're at it again. This time the right way. Tweeked and adjusted everything, and bolted 'er up. And then it sat. Mind you I'm still gun shy.

This morning I figured it's now or never. So I roll the bike off the lawn once more and this time it wasn't so bad. Still tilted /\, but manageable. Started down the street and made it all the way to the end of the block , turned around, and actually got some speed on the way back. It's going to work. Tomorrow I may take it for a longer ride... :sign woo hoo:

The voyager kit was my first attempt at switching to a trike. Took a lot of tweaking and adjusting to get it right. Your right about the instructions, just throw them in the trash. Best bet is the internet. A lot of good info from people who have this setups. Just keep working with the pre-load and tire pressure till it handles the way you want it to.