IGNORED

Superbrace installation/Axle Torque

Ok - I won a Superbrace off e-bay about a month ago. Tried to install it and it would not go between the forks. So, I raised up the front tonight and loosened the pinch bolt and front axle. Still wouldn't fit. Loosened the lower fork tube clamps and same thing. Air pressure at 6 psi. Progressive springs in forks. It is a 2" thick early model brace. Can't get my calipers in to check the spacing. Don't think the forks have a problem. Anyone have experience with these? I think I will hand it off to Lowell and have him check it to a couple of his bikes. I tried to contact Superbrace and received very canned answers. I asked for the tolerance and measurements and got no answer. Next thing on the list: I retorqued the front axle to 75 ft. lbs. as indicated in the manual. Dang that was a lot tighter than when I took it apart!! I have noticed a very minor twitch in the front when starting and turning sharp at the same time. Maybe this was the problem. I will find out in the A.M. when I run to work. Retorqued pinch bolt and top tube bolts. Front tire feels ok-maybe a bit stiffer to turn. Say 3-5lbs. force needed to rotate the wheel. Thinking of pulling wheel and replacing bearings just for the heck of it.

JB

On my 89, when I installed the Brace, I recall haveing problems getting the bolts in. I believe I loosened the Upper Pinch bolts. But can't remember exactly what I had to do to get the 4 bolts in place.

Then re install the wheel. and re torque everything in stages.

OK, I think I removed some metal from each end of the brace. The rounded out part, on each end. Not much, then the bolts went in place.

Hi JB,

I also bought an early Superbrace off ebay, a few months ago. Mine went on fine. The only goofy part was the caps that are supposed to plug the bolt counterbores, so I left them out. I disassembled nothing except for removal of the stock brace. The new one slid right in. I agree with post above; if you have factory fork boots they protrude into the space required by the brace. FYI, I also have slight front-end wobbles under certain circumstances; the brace did not help, but it is shiny and looks manly!

Jeremy

I seem to remember something about that if you had boots on top of your lower tubes, that some metal had to be removed from the brace for the spacing. There's probably a post on this.

Dan

Yes that was me I have a 1990 with the rubber boots that come down to the brace area and lock in grooves. My superbrace was new in the package and would not slip in to the original brace position and the bolts were not long enough and barely made contact with threads had one not partially stripped I would have not noticed I had hardly any thread engagement maybe not safe. Heres my post about it . http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12838