IGNORED

Ohio to Branson Mo.

samklr650

Hey Folks,

I'm looking for some insight for my trip from Ohio to Branson Missouri. I'm riding out on July 3rd and coming back on July 7th. With it being a holiday weekend I would rally like to stay out of the big cities and off the interstates.

On mapquest I looked at taking RT62 through Kentucky and then getting on RT60 and taking it all the way to Spring Field Missouri and then taking RT65 into Branson.

Can someone give me some insight on these routes? is this a good idea or bad idea, is there major construction that will hamper my travel and are there some good campsites along the way where I could spend the night if I don't want to go the whole way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HWY 160 west from Popular Bluff to Branson is a whole lot better ride if you ask me. I have done both. Your route and HWy 160 and if I ever go again it will be 160.

While in Branson, you should take a 1 hr ride to Eureka Springs and check out that neat town. Very nice place to visit.

Ditto what Eck said! 160 is a very fun ride. I'd say ride it to Branson and then ride 65 to 60 back.

You should know that by going to Branson, you are on the edge of one of the greatest riding areas in the middle part of the country. Eureka Springs is a must see, but you should ride farther south from Eureka. There are so many awesome rides through that part of Arkansas, its ridiculous. There will be forty hundred bikes roaming around northwest Arkansas this coming weekend, including me and my bride.

If you want some other ideas, let me know.

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the input.

My Daughter is doing an internship at "Chateau on the Lake" In Branson. Saturday is her Birthday so I'll be spending most of time in Branson and will probably only get one day to ride. I'm guessing that will be July 4th because she has to work that day. So my main concern is making good time going out and seeing a part of the country I haven't seen. I'll definitely check out RT160. If you see a RSMV with Ohio Tags, that will be me:)

We went to the IR down in N Arkansas a few years ago and it was tremendous. 4 of us rode down to Little Rock and back, it was a beautiful ride. That'd be a good Friday for ya.

Oh yea, catch a ride on the ferry a bit southeast of Bronson. Go down or come back via the ferry and you can catch northern Arkansas/southern Missouri a bit out of the way...

Samklr650, If you want me to map out a good ride for you to do on the 4th, let me know.

That would awesome!!! Since we don't know the area very well and my family that lives there doesn't ride, input from a fellow rider would be most welcome :cool10: Thanks' Allot!!

Ironically, I lived in Rogers and Springdale Ark almost 20yrs ago with my exhusband. Been wanting to go back and remember...and hopefully notrun into the ex.... it's a lovely area and I enjoyed living there....except when I passed by the Tyson processing plant in Bentonville...smell was eeew.

This month's Rider magazine has an article about Northwest Arkansas Rides. One is through Branson. Check it out:

attachment.php?attachmentid=85419&stc=1&d=1404221201

I actually have the Mag! I saw that in there but just haven't had time to read the article. I was planning on taking it with me on the trip.

This month's Rider magazine has an article about Northwest Arkansas Rides. One is through Branson. Check it out:

attachment.php?attachmentid=85419&stc=1&d=1404221201

Every route on this photo is awesome! But, one big question is; Are you wanting to just ride and experience the wonderful routes and highways and sites, or will there be stopping and shopping involved? If stopping and shopping at little shops is involved, then I do recommend you go see Eureka Springs which isn't one of the routes on this photo.

Now, if you are wanting to just ride and look at sites, then I would recommend:

From Branson, take Hwy 65 to Harrison, Ar. Then go southwest on Hwy 43 to Ponca, Ar. Just before you get to Ponca you will cross the Buffalo River which is America's first designated National River. In Ponca there is a real nice store there to grab gas, snacks, whatever. Also in Ponca there is an elk information center/museum. After you leave Ponca, you could go east on Hwy 74 to Jasper, but DON'T do that. You'll get to Jasper later. Instead, take Hwy 21 south toward Hwy 16. Note: After you leave Ponca on Hwy 21, go slow for 4-5 miles and look out in the fields on your left. There is a big chance you'll see elk. Sometimes they are up against the tree line and hard to see, but often times they're out in the fields.

As I said, take Hwy 21 south to Hwy 16. Then take Hwy 16 east to Hwy 7. After you get to Hwy 7, take Hwy 7 north toward Jasper. 7 is on the national scenic byway register. It's a nice ride with curves, but you will be able to run 60+mph on this road. Going up Hwy 7 about 5 miles before you get to Jasper, you will get to experience the Arkansas Grand Canyon view. There is a real good restaurant on 7 called The Cliffhouse Restaurant. It hangs out off of a cliff with a great view of the valley below. I recommend it. There'll be a lot of bikers eating there. Also, up the road from that is a tower you can go up and take in the view. Then ride on into Jasper. If you choose not to eat at The Cliffhouse, then there is a great place in Jasper called the Ozark Cafe. There will be a ton of bikers eating there for sure.

After Jasper, take Hwy 7 north toward Harrison. You will cross the Buffalo River again and this ride is nice and clean. Several miles before you get to Harrison, go east on Route 206. Follow 206 all the way to Hwy 65 at Bellefonte. When you get to Bellefonte, go south on Hwy 65 for a short spell until you come to Hwy 412/62. Take 412/62 east to Yellville. In Yellville, take Hwy 14 north until you come to Hwy 125. Take Hwy 125 all the way until it dead ends into Bull Shoals Lake. Then wait for the ferry. Lol. Ride the Peeler Ferry across the lake and take Hwy 125 north up to Missouri Hwy 160. Go east on 160 all the way back to Branson.

This ride will give you a good mix of whats to offer in Arkansas and the Ozark Mountains, but in all honesty, it only scratches the surface.

You will see a ton of bikers all along your journey. Bikers are a huge part of the life blood of this areas economy this time of year.

Every route on this photo is awesome! But, one big question is; Are you wanting to just ride and experience the wonderful routes and highways and sites, or will there be stopping and shopping involved? If stopping and shopping at little shops is involved, then I do recommend you go see Eureka Springs which isn't one of the routes on this photo.

Now, if you are wanting to just ride and look at sites, then I would recommend:

From Branson, take Hwy 65 to Harrison, Ar. Then go southwest on Hwy 43 to Ponca, Ar. Just before you get to Ponca you will cross the Buffalo River which is America's first designated National River. In Ponca there is a real nice store there to grab gas, snacks, whatever. Also in Ponca there is an elk information center/museum. After you leave Ponca, you could go east on Hwy 74 to Jasper, but DON'T do that. You'll get to Jasper later. Instead, take Hwy 21 south toward Hwy 16. Note: After you leave Ponca on Hwy 21, go slow for 4-5 miles and look out in the fields on your left. There is a big chance you'll see elk. Sometimes they are up against the tree line and hard to see, but often times they're out in the fields.

As I said, take Hwy 21 south to Hwy 16. Then take Hwy 16 east to Hwy 7. After you get to Hwy 7, take Hwy 7 north toward Jasper. 7 is on the national scenic byway register. It's a nice ride with curves, but you will be able to run 60+mph on this road. Going up Hwy 7 about 5 miles before you get to Jasper, you will get to experience the Arkansas Grand Canyon view. There is a real good restaurant on 7 called The Cliffhouse Restaurant. It hangs out off of a cliff with a great view of the valley below. I recommend it. There'll be a lot of bikers eating there. Also, up the road from that is a tower you can go up and take in the view. Then ride on into Jasper. If you choose not to eat at The Cliffhouse, then there is a great place in Jasper called the Ozark Cafe. There will be a ton of bikers eating there for sure.

After Jasper, take Hwy 7 north toward Harrison. You will cross the Buffalo River again and this ride is nice and clean. Several miles before you get to Harrison, go east on Route 206. Follow 206 all the way to Hwy 65 at Bellefonte. When you get to Bellefonte, go south on Hwy 65 for a short spell until you come to Hwy 412/62. Take 412/62 east to Yellville. In Yellville, take Hwy 14 north until you come to Hwy 125. Take Hwy 125 all the way until it dead ends into Bull Shoals Lake. Then wait for the ferry. Lol. Ride the Peeler Ferry across the lake and take Hwy 125 north up to Missouri Hwy 160. Go east on 160 all the way back to Branson.

This ride will give you a good mix of whats to offer in Arkansas and the Ozark Mountains, but in all honesty, it only scratches the surface.

You will see a ton of bikers all along your journey. Bikers are a huge part of the life blood of this areas economy this time of year.

Thanks BigLenny!! I'll make out some route sheets with this information. I think riding and seeing sites will be on our agenda. Probably not much shopping. This is a huge help! If my daughter ends up working full time in Branson after college it will give me a reason to go outmore often :)

Thanks' again everyone. BigLenny, I have your route laid for when I get there! I'm taking off right after work and heading West!! I'm going to take US RT60 out of Lexington Ky all the way to Springfield. Hoping I can find a place to stay about the halfway point. If not, I'll pull a Ted Simons(Writer of Jupiter Travels) and sleep on the bike :)

Just a side note, Coming from riding an Adventure Touring bike, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy a touring bike. But I have to say I really Love my RSMV. I usually put 10K a year on a bike and this year I'm already at 8K and its only half way!!!

Sam,

So, how'd your ride go? Did you make it down into Arkansas? As I said before, the route I planned for you just scratches the surface for what Arkansas offers for bikers. My wife and I rode up to northwest Arkansas on the 4th and was surprised to find some of the key restaurants and stores closed for the 4th. However, we also rode in that area on the 5th and it was rockin with bikes everywhere.

Hope ya had fun.

Sam,

So, how'd your ride go? Did you make it down into Arkansas? As I said before, the route I planned for you just scratches the surface for what Arkansas offers for bikers. My wife and I rode up to northwest Arkansas on the 4th and was surprised to find some of the key restaurants and stores closed for the 4th. However, we also rode in that area on the 5th and it was rockin with bikes everywhere.

Hope ya had fun.

Hey Biglenny!

My wife and I rode on the 4th and it was awesome. We didn't get to do the entire ride you laid out, due to a late start. We rode Rt7 over and ate at the Cliffhanger Restaurant then my wife wanted to ride the ferry, so we rode back on RT7 and took the last part of your ride to the Ferry and back to Branson. It was really nice.

However, if you ride that way don't get gas at the Gas station on the corner of 125 and 160. I got a tank full of bad gas and the bike run terrible. After checking it out all over I finally figured out it was bad gas. Drained it and put fresh gas in and it ran great again.

Thanks' for the route and you can bet I'll be back there to ride some more in the future.

Also, just a note for everyone. US RT60 is an awesome 4 lane route West!! And if you need help, as I did near Paducah Ky, Paducah Powersports is a great shop!! 100 miles outside of Paducah I noticed I the cords showing through on my back tire, so I rode to Paducah and the next morning Paducah Powersports took good care of me. Paducah, is a great place to visit also.

Sam