IGNORED

LED Headlight

midnightrider1300

does any1 here have a LED hedlight on their bike? I had the HID on my old bike and loved it, I have found a great deal on a LED kit for $89.00 http://www.light-pros.com/motorcycle-led-headlight-kit/ any thoughts?

I installed this kit and it's a good one. Check it out. I also put LED Trapezoid sealed beams in place of the old halogen passing lamps. Larsenlights.com

Edited by gjm606
corrected website

I installed this kit and it's a good one. Check it out. I also put LED Trapezoid sealed beams in place of the old halogen passing lamps. Larsenlighting.com

My Venture takes a bulb. Dont remember what the number is maybe H4? I bought a 40w 80w LED bulb. It looked good but I had to run on high beam to see anything. Reflective paint like signs and tape really popped and were very bright at night from far away but the distance you could see on the road was greatly reduced. And the blue high beam indicator light on the dash was always on. I took it off. Maybe they have gotten better over the past year.

Led bulbs are changing every month right now, but are just shy of being better than a 55 watt HID, but those aftermarket cree 4x4 spotlights do put out pretty good light, i had a pair of old Hella driving lights on my 86 Venture, both were 55 watt h1 halogens, pulled them off and installed a pair of 4" square cree spot version off road lights, nice sturdy aluminum finned housing, they each draw 18 watts.

My next goal is to retrofit dual projectors in my Ventures headlights, remove the outer cover and to install a sturdy lexan clear one, inside will be either a dual projector or a triple. Similar to the new Harley or Indian headlights.

My next goal is to retrofit dual projectors in my Ventures headlights, remove the outer cover and to install a sturdy lexan clear one, inside will be either a dual projector or a triple.

Couple people on VRO have done that. Snaggletooth and Twigg.

Here's Twigg's write-up on his conversion: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?67750-Headlight-Conversion-to-HID-Projector-%28-86-93%29

Led bulbs are changing every month right now, but are just shy of being better than a 55 watt HID, but those aftermarket cree 4x4 spotlights do put out pretty good light, i had a pair of old Hella driving lights on my 86 Venture, both were 55 watt h1 halogens, pulled them off and installed a pair of 4" square cree spot version off road lights, nice sturdy aluminum finned housing, they each draw 18 watts.

My next goal is to retrofit dual projectors in my Ventures headlights, remove the outer cover and to install a sturdy lexan clear one, inside will be either a dual projector or a triple. Similar to the new Harley or Indian headlights.

If you find a wrecked 83 (and I believe an 84), they already have a clear glass cover over a standard square headlight. grab the cover and the surround/gasket for it. Makes a retrofit a bit easier and the parts fit like factory because, well, they are.

:)

Edit: ah, after looking at one of the links already posted above, I see it's already been done that way....

Edited by Great White

If you find a wrecked 83 (and I believe an 84), they already have a clear glass cover over a standard square headlight. grab the cover and the surround/gasket for it. Makes a retrofit a bit easier and the parts fit like factory because, well, they are.

:)

Edit: ah, after looking at one of the links already posted above, I see it's already been done that way....

Well i already stole the mufflers off my 85 Venture, might as well take the headlight cover, did not think the mk1 and mk2 covers would swap.

Well i already stole the mufflers off my 85 Venture, might as well take the headlight cover, did not think the mk1 and mk2 covers would swap.

gent in the link seems to have done it. Looks like he made a sort of gasket for the headlight/windscreen interface though....

I purchased LED 4 1/2 Trapezoid Sealed Beams which are a direct fit on my passing lamps. I put spade connections on and good as gold. 1450 Lumens per beams. Excellent for added safety and riding after dark. Larsenlighting.com @ $29.50 each, plus shipping. Check it out, you'll be glad you did.

Was going to take my recently acquired 86 for a ride but several things intervened, one it started raining, two the throttle felt weird, found out the cabled is just a few strands away from breaking at the carb, again i do not want to keep steeling parts from the other Ventures i found a good complete set off ebay. Wish i could post pics but every single time it says upload failed. Its not a size issue, its something else. But in case anyone cruises over at Goldwingfacts i can easily post images there all day long, they like Ventures.

I did a quad group pic of both my Gl1500 bikes and my 86 and 89 Ventures. Its in a thread called What did you do to your Goldwing today?