IGNORED

Found 89 VR left side engine oil leak

I took off the middle gear cover and found a couple of oil leaks. (see attached pictures) The grommets around the wire bundles coming out of the engine case appear to be leaking. I lifted up the two wire bundle up to move them out of the way and oil poured out of the wire casing. I plan on cleaning with break fluid and sealing with high temp RTV.

Second leak is from the oil seal around the shifter shaft shown in the second picture. I just got that linkage off and am trying to pull out the seal. I turned in a couple of small screws and used small vise grips on both screws at the same time but no luck. Any suggestions on how to get the seal out? I might cut it but don't want to nick the shaft or housing.

Drewman

Edited by Drewman

Attached is a picture of the oil seal around the shifter shaft. Anyone taken one of these out before? I tried two screws 180 degrees apart and pulling it out but it wouldn't budge. I tried cutting it with a knife but the blade would not penetrate. I tried tapping a small screw driver into the seal 90 degrees apart 4 places. Seal still wouldn't pull out.

I imagine if I keep trying eventually it will come out. Just wondered if anyone else has changed one and if so, how did you get it out.

Thanks,

Drewman

........ sealing with high temp RTV.

Sorry, that does not work. Need to replace rubber grommet with new.....OR..... shim the inside of the grommet around each wire and then seal with RTV. Shrink tubing could be used as a shim. Do it right, or do it over

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

To replace does that means an engine teardown since I would have to replace the whole wire bundle? I don't think just the grommet is available.

Engine generator cover must be removed for servicing the grommet.

OK...Since the grommet is not available, one would cut the 3 white generator wires at the connector, then work them out of the grommet. Then clean the wires and grommet with carb/brake cleaner and also the grommet seat areas. Once clean, use shrink tubing properly applied to the wire where it would pass thru the grommet and work the wire back into the grommet. The shrink tubing makes a tighter seal for the wire. Once all is back in place, seal the wires on both sides with high temp oil resistant RTV ....just enough to cover. When assembling the side cover back on the engine, use the same RTV to seal the grommet to the engine and cover.

Replace the wire connector with either soldered connections (best), or use a screw terminal block with soldered wire terminals. Don't use any push connectors.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Yes.

OK...Since the grommet is not available, one would cut the 3 white generator wires at the connector, then work them out of the grommet. Then clean the wires and grommet with carb/brake cleaner and also the grommet seat areas.

The wires don't need to be cut. Once the cover is off the grommet will lift out of its slot and the wires can be worked through the holes so they can be cleaned. Put RTV on the wires and pull a bit past where they originally were. Add more RTV and slide them back to original position. Put a dab of RTV around the slot before putting the grommet back in and some more on the outside edge to seal to the cover.

This method worked for me when I replaced a stator that did not come with a grommet.

What cover is the engine generator cover? Is it the one forward of the middle gear cover with the 1300cc on it?

By the way I finally got the shaft oil seal out tonight with a slide hammer with a small screw in the end of it

• 3 weeks later...

OK...Since the grommet is not available, one would cut the 3 white generator wires at the connector, then work them out of the grommet. Then clean the wires and grommet with carb/brake cleaner and also the grommet seat areas. Once clean, use shrink tubing properly applied to the wire where it would pass thru the grommet and work the wire back into the grommet. The shrink tubing makes a tighter seal for the wire. Once all is back in place, seal the wires on both sides with high temp oil resistant RTV ....just enough to cover. When assembling the side cover back on the engine, use the same RTV to seal the grommet to the engine and cover.

Replace the wire connector with either soldered connections (best), or use a screw terminal block with soldered wire terminals. Don't use any push connectors.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Don't do what you are suggesting. Your shrink tubing idea is just another wicking thing. ALL YAMAHAs from the 80's develope a slow leak at the wires. It's the wires exterior protection WEAVE that acts as a WICK and draws the oil out. You can again and again spray with brake cleaner. And use ONLY permatex ultra black or grey globbed in and around the wires. ME... outside of the generator cover I completely and carefully removed the outside weave insulation then the inner rubber insulation and separated the wires then put lots of permatex. Permatex ultra RTV is the best and strongest insulator. Let it sit 24hours. If you have Suzuki dealer near. They sell a Suzuki brand RTV black and grey. Also very good. I like black. Mine leaks maybe a tablespoon every 3000 miles. Parking it overnight on the center stand helps too. Yes, the gear shift assy. needs removal. But taking the generator cover off for this leak by replacing the grommets .....it won't fix it. As long as you have braided jacket wire insulation it can leak.

Edited by jasonm.