IGNORED

89 Shifting

Hello all,

I've just gotten my 89 Venture Royale back from the shop for a new clutch install. Had it running for a few days and noticed a hard (or harder than normal) shifting around town. Was downshifting the other day and got down to 3rd and went to downshift to 2nd and was completely without a gear. No upshift, no downshift. Managed to get it off the road and found that the gear selector on the dash would show going into a gear, but when my foot left the pedal, it would not stay into gear. Managed to hold it up (shifter) to get into 4 and after getting it moving a holding my foot up on the pedal, it would stay in gear and made it home. Now, in the driveway, it won't go into gear without a considerable amount of force, and some clunking noises coming from the gearbox. I do not think that it was this way before the clutch replacement. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Brett

progress.gif

I'm just guessin' here,bur I would say whoever put the new clutch in screwed it up,there is shift linkage in behind the clutch basket-I would be making a phone call and somebody would be picking up your bike--repairing. It and delivering back at no charge------just sayin'

:mytruck:

I'm just guessin' here,bur I would say whoever put the new clutch in screwed it up,there is shift linkage in behind the clutch basket-I would be making a phone call and somebody would be picking up your bike--repairing. It and delivering back at no charge------just sayin'

:mytruck:

sign%20yeah%20that.gif sign%20yeah%20that.gif sign%20yeah%20that.gif

And if they really don't know what they are doing find a local knowledgeable member who is willing to help, and put it right. A good many of the members have done their own clutches and many know better what they are doing then some of the bike shops.

Edited by saddlebum

It sounds to me like you may have two problems. It does not sound like the clutch is releasing correctly and that may be clutch related or even a slave cylinder/bleeding problem. The other concern of it not wanting to stay in gear may be related to the detent mechanism behind the clutch. There is a spring that makes the detent work and if there is any problem with it, it can allow the drum that controls the shifter forks to float around. I had this happen about a year ago and the spring had broken.

Even though I do not have a lot of faith in a lot of mechanics working on these old bikes, I would still take it back and tell them what has happened.

I am curious as to why you had clutch work done. Was it slipping or something else? I am also curious as to what you were charged to have this done.

RandyA

Thanks for the responses. I had the clutch done because I was experiencing slipping last season and was planning on doing a few longer trips this year.

I had found this "mechanic" and was led to believe he could handle it. After a month and a half of waiting for it to be finished, numerous excuses as to why it wasn't ready, and believe it or not, broken parts that he wasn't working onb, I decided to cut my losses. When I did contact him about the shifting problems, 1) I get voicemail all the time, so now he's screening calls and 2) he's saying that he didn't touch anything that would effect the shifting. So go figure!! I'll be getting it taken care of at a reputable mechanic, and I'll be sending him the bill for the additional repairs.

not to many shops have mechanics that truly know about these bikes bart so ask questions when before you take it or you can do it yourself people on here know thier stuff when it comes to these bikes and are usulally a phone call away in some cases its a good reason for a ride to come meet you and help you fix it

I seen reports of 2 hr job. Is that possible and I've seen reports that you don't need to deal with the friction plates....just a pressure plate and some type of smooth ring....no need to remove basket in most cases....am i full of it? Dave