IGNORED

LD Rally Season Is Upon Us

RedRider

The Long Distance Rally season is upon us. Getting the bike ready for a really good year and thought I would share the preparation.

First rally is this coming Saturday (6/21). The Minnesota 1000 is a 24 hour scavenger hunt style rally during which I will generally cover 1000-1200 miles. It starts and ends in Stillwater, MN (Minneapolis/StPaul area).

Second is what I am really looking forward to this summer. The Butt Lite 7 is a 6 day rally of similar style to the Iron Butt Rally (IBR is 11 days). This will be my first multi-day rally so will be interesting to see how I hold up. The BL7 also starts and end in the MN/StP area with an intermediate checkpoint in a location that will be announced the night before the start.

Third is more of a flower sniffing rally. Mrs. RedRider will be joining me for an 8 hour Team Lyle New England rally out of Rutland, VT. We will then ride around the NE experiencing some of this country's most beautiful roads and vistas.

In preparation of this grueling schedule, over the winter the bike received the following love:

- All new fluids - brake, clutch, pumpkin, oil/filter

- Upgraded to SS brake and clutch lines

- Spline and pins lube with Honda Moly60

- Drive shaft splines lube with Honday Moly60

- New front brake pads (rears were fine)

- Hagan rear shock (OEM finally died)

- Progressive springs in front (actually, this was done 2012/13 winter)

- New front and rear wheel bearings (2012/13 winter)

- New battery

- Valve shim check and adjustment (did it without removing carbs - it can be done)

- Carb sync

- New fuel filter

- Purchased backup fuel pump (thanks Squidley)

- Cleaned and recharged K&M air filters

- Replaced fuel lines and fuel filter on auxiliary fuel tank.

- Gave its annual bath including leather food for the seat.

- Bike currently has 113250 miles and ready for a lot more.

Also,

- Added a second Zumo 550

- Added a SPOT satellite tracker

- Added a hydration system (work still in process).

- Have a set of new Dunlop Elite3 tires ready for after the MN1k. Plenty of tread for a couple of thousand miles, but not for 7000 or so expected during the Butt Lite.

- Added a Laminar Lip to the windshield (should arrive on the brown truck today).

Will update this thread with pictures when I get an opportunity.

WooHoo!! I am ready (OK, almost ready) to ride!

RR

Edited by RedRider

Well, got home about 4:00 this afternoon. Great time was had by all.

From 8 am Saturday morning to 8 am Sunday morning (with a 3 hour rest bonus), I racked up 1156 miles and 5500 points. Oh wait, that was only 4000 points. Lost the points for the rest bonus since the starting receipt didn't have a computer printed time on it. It's one of the rules and I should have caught it.

Anyhoo, That dropped me from 3rd place to an also ran. Oh well, had lots of fun, road lots of miles, and am ready for Butt Lite 7 in a couple of weeks. That is a 6 day rally.

RR