IGNORED

Backrest for first gen

Hi all. Just got back from my first "big trip". 268 miles with the first half in a down poor. After getting home I thought I would start searching for a backrest as that is the main thing that got tired the most. Bad posture. So I went on eBay and found this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/380917902807

It says 84-88 so I took a close look. Not really seeing this mounting option on my 83 first gen. I am assuming this won't work for me but just wanted to make sure.

I have seen the utopia and the Corbin option but am wanting something a little more solid and cheaper lol. My fear of the utopia is that the bar is mounting to the plastic of the seat. Im a bigger guy and I want a firm foundation lol. Corbin, to much money for this bike.

Anyways I appreciate your inputs. Is there a different option I may have not found? Thanks

That's only part of it..........still need the mount bars to attach the backrest to. Marklin also made one that is similar. Suggest you continue to search being patient as the right choice for you will eventually show up.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

My understanding is that the 83-85 uses different mounting brackets than the 86 +. I'm sure others will chime in, but I would be patient until you find out which one actually fits your bike's year.

I just bought this NOS bracket on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250992476928

I used the pictures you guys posted. I made him an offer and got it fairly. Cheap. I almost ordered the above eBay seat (only one on there now) but decided to wait to make sure this bracket fits and works. Looks like it just clamps onto the bar.

If it works I'll be looking for the yamaha style backrest. I don't care about the upholstery as I'm having the seat redone.

big c that bracket you got from ebay is what you will need i took mine off for now but will put it back on soon they mount to the of your bag guards if i had mine ion i would take pics and post but i dont have it on maybe someone can get some and post them for you

Well just to update I've got the bracket I ordered from eBay and I discovered I need the brackets, top saddlebag bracket, for the backrest to mount with so I ordered a set on eBay. As soon as they arrive I'll be down to just finding the backrest. If anyone has one they want to sell please let me know.

Thanks cruzn for the pics. It gave me a second question. I love the style of bags you have. Wondering what year your venture is and wondering if those bags will fit my year. I would hunt down some if they did

Thanks everyone for your help. The bike is coming right along.