IGNORED

Exhaust pipe removal and installation

Exhaust pipe removal and installation on the left side of the bike. I found a post on here where someone asked how and what was needed to take the exhaust pipe off. He got several replies but no one ever explained the process. I have checked the shop (service) manual and I see how to take the left exhaust pipe off so unless there is a trick not shown in the shop manual that should not be a problem. Since I have never done this before do I need to replace the wahers that seal the exhaust between the engine and the exhaust pipe? There is nothing wrong with the exhaust pipe I just need to replace the rubber boot on the shifter where it connects and goes into the engine. It will make it easier to get to the shifter seal also so I can get that thing out.

Thanks,

Harry

You know since I have never taken these off before and since I am not really sure what I am doing I went ahead and ordered the exhaust donuts. I figure they have been on there up to 14 years so the likelihood That I can get them off without damaging them is very slim and for $10 I can replace them so I went ahead and ordered them.

Any and all comments are welcome but I am going to change them out.:301:

No tricks, pretty straight forward. I reused the donuts. If the muffler is stubborn a rubber strap wrench comes in handy to twist and loosen the slipon mufflers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I put HD slant pipes on it so they should come off pretty easily but thanks for the suggestion just in case I need to use it.

Hi Rick I got the donuts from Partszilla http://http://www.partzilla.com/ they were $4.24 each plus $5.99 shipping and boy do they ship fast. 3GD-14613-00-00

GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE as you know you need 4 to do both sides and even though I am only doing the left side the shipping is $5.99 for 2 or 4 so I'll hang on to the other 2 until I need them.

you say RUBBER seal at the shift ...into engine. You mean shifter seal ? You actually may not need to replace exhaust gaskets. My exhaust has been offmany times..no leaks. If it is the shifter seal. You need to carefully use a drywall screw or 2 to extract the seal. Careful because you do not want to nick the shifter shaft or case where the seal sits.

you say RUBBER seal at the shift ...into engine. You mean shifter seal ? You actually may not need to replace exhaust gaskets. My exhaust has been offmany times..no leaks. If it is the shifter seal. You need to carefully use a drywall screw or 2 to extract the seal. Careful because you do not want to nick the shifter shaft or case where the seal sits.

Yes I do mean shifter seal. Thanks for the tip on the drywall screws. I will be very careful. I went ahead and ordered 4 exhaust doughnut gaskets just in case. They were only $16.92 for all four and $5.99 shipping and handling. If I need them I have them and if I don't need them they go into the parts box for later.