IGNORED

2nd Gen bouncing on rough roads

SARNA66

My stock shock was a piece of crap so I bought a Hagon. I left the settings as it was shipped. I love the ride. Much stiffer. Now after my wife riding a long (for her) 200+ mile day, I have realized that the shock is set perfectly for when both of us are on the bike. I get a bouncy feeling when it is just me and I guess that will continue because it is a pain in the ass to adjust the shock back and forth each time between solo and 2 up. I realize I am talking about a Hagon and I am not sure how that relates to the stock shock. But if set to tight (to much air maybe? Or not enough?) you could get some bounce. Mine feels closer to a hard tail the way it bounces when I am solo. But it handles the twisties like my old sport touring bike.

Sounds like your shock is probably toast, sounds as if there is there is no oil left to dampen the spring. I , like Bumblebee went with a heavy duty Hagon shock and could not be happier, it rides and handles excellent and I can adjust preload and dampening of the shock.

I see you have a '99. Is it still the original shock? If so...15 years...think you got your moneys worth out of it !

It's funny that we accept this sort of thing... It is very rare to hear of a shock going bad on a 1st gen.. for example my 84 is 30 years old with 140,000 Kms and the shock is original.. It even still holds pressure for the whole summer.. almost never have to adjust it unless I'm taking someone larger than my wife for a ride..

As far as I know, it is original , about 40 lbs.

Im tall and 325, luckily the wife is only 125

Just go ahead and get a Hagon HD or other aftermarket. I am 6'4" 300 + and my wife is around 5'7" and 150. I know we are over the weight limit of the bike but we still ride together. I was scared with the stock shock. With the Hagon, I honestly don't even realize she is back there except when doing parking lot slow manuevers. The bike handles so much better solo or 2 up with the Hagon. And that is even when my stock shock was good.