IGNORED

Warranty work - where did you buy it?

Jerry W

I have seen several posts concerning dealers not wanting to perform warranty work on bikes they did not sell. My RSV developed a serious coolant leak coming from the radiator. My closest Yamaha dealer is Sharp's in Amarillo. I called their service department and spoke with Mike, there was no discussion concerning where I purchased the bike. Mike knows I did not buy the bike in Amarillo, when I asked when he could get to it he said whenever I got it there. I picked the bike up yesterday with a new radiator in it and Mike thanked me for picking it up so promptly after it was fixed. Just wanted to let folks know Sharp's did me right. I have bought a bike from them in the past and have never had any problem with their service department.

Warranty is supplied from the factory not the dealer. I can't understand how any Yamaha dealer could refuse to do warranty work on a Yamaha product that was still under warranty. I had warranty work done twice on my "Canadian" Venture by a dealer in Rapid City SD. with no problems what so ever. Stuck needle valve in 03' and a leaking rear shock in 04' I can't imagine a dealer refusing to do the work. I would report the dealer to the factory rep. to let Yamaha USA know what the dealer was doing.

I've had almost the same experience from my local dealer, Bob's Motor Sports, Chatham ON. I asked him about doing warranty on a used bike that I bought from another dealer and he said "why wouldn't I do it, it's money in my pocket". He did all the warranty work on my '03 and it was always done professionally and usually while I waited. One time he let me take the shop truck to go for lunch. And he always bought me a coffee at the mid morning break time.

the bike is warrentied by yamaha and any yamaha dealer has to work on it no matter where you bought it. yamaha pays the dealers for warrenty work, so they don't lose money. i work for an a/c company and we sell trane system and we have to do the same thing if some other co sells and installs the units. if we would refuse, we could lose our trane dealership rites. with that said, we do put our own customers first in line for service and i think thats what a lot of dealers do. if they refused to fix it, just call tha yam customer service 800# and complain.

the bike is warrentied by yamaha and any yamaha dealer has to work on it no matter where you bought it. yamaha pays the dealers for warrenty work, so they don't lose money. i work for an a/c company and we sell trane system and we have to do the same thing if some other co sells and installs the units. if we would refuse, we could lose our trane dealership rites. with that said, we do put our own customers first in line for service and i think thats what a lot of dealers do. if they refused to fix it, just call tha yam customer service 800# and complain.

I was told by two dealers that Yamaha Canada will not pay for warranty work on a bike a Canadian buys in the States. I don't see why where you got the bike should matter.