IGNORED

Handlebars

billmac

I have ALWAYS loved the adjustability of the 1st Gen bars!! I got spoiled with "Pull Backs" and the relaxed feel of a long springer front end riding chops years ago... That leaned back, stretched out feeling,, steering with my knees when I wanted to while resting a foot on top of the tappet cover of a SOHC 750 Honda motor.. My head resting against a wadded up sleeping bag/tent while practically falling asleep about ruined me!! As a result, I have always ran the bars on my 1st Gens folded in and down below my elbows (when sitting in an upright "normal" ride position so when I am leaned back against Tippy, head on her torso, I am able to contact the bar tip with my knees with feet on crash bars.. In that position my hands are even with my elbows.. Some things will never change!!

I was asking because I was looking at new bikes at a dealers and the same bikes had the handle bars adjusted in different positions, maybe just the person setting up the bikes thought close enough was good or their was a reason.

I was asking because I was looking at new bikes at a dealers and the same bikes had the handle bars adjusted in different positions, maybe just the person setting up the bikes thought close enough was good or their was a reason.

Is there a bike being made today that utilizes fully adjustable bars like our 1st Gens or am I reading being the lines here Bill??

I don't think they do. what I saw was just the angle of the bars when they tighten the bars down. same bikes just when the person had the bars in a different angel when they tighten them down. maybe they just didn't pay attention when installing them.

I don't think they do. what I saw was just the angle of the bars when they tighten the bars down. same bikes just when the person had the bars in a different angel when they tighten them down. maybe they just didn't pay attention when installing them.
There is probably an approximate stock position for each bike that is set at the factory or when the dealer puts it together.

My preference is to have the hands well below the shoulder with my forearms almost parallel to the ground. Not stretched out at all. I want to be able to turn lock to lock without having to significantly move my body. Keeping the hands well below the shoulder seems to aid in keeping the blood flowing which likely prevents numbness in the hands. When adjusting the bars it was suggested to me to sit in the saddle with eyes closed in the position you would like to sit, remember it's for hours and hours and hours, then put my hands out in a comfortable position and that is where the bars should be set. Since most bikes seem to be designed around Asian sized people, there will most likely be a requirement for some customization to get it right.

The issue I have had with the handlebar position is not so much about the height as with the angle of the grips. Both my Virago and and my VR had the same problem with kinked wrists that made any long ride quite uncomfortable. On the Virago rotating the bars down put the grips almost vertical which allowed my wrists to be straight. It was necessary to put taller risers on in order to get enough clearance with the tank when doing tight turns. I tried adjusting the bars on the VR down but they hit the stop pins before they got to a comfortable position. Other than filing the pin off to allow more rotation, it looks like it will be necessary to fabricate some risers in order to get the angles right for me.