IGNORED

Bike sway's

saddlebum

Thanks for the update Ben. Now that you see how much this affects the handling of your bike, I suggest you put it on your to do list to at least take the nut off and drop the triple tree down and clean, inspect, and regrease the bearings. With the old grease, you may have to have the bearings a little more loose than is optimum to not have sticky spots that caused your problem. With the bearings cleaned and regreased, you will be able to eliminate the sway and still improve the precision in the steering.

RandyA

I believe I made an error some years ago. I got to thinking how I had some bearing play back then and so I tightened up the bearings using the bounce method. I cannot remember exactly how it went but it was something along the lines where you adjusted the bearings to the point where when you flicked the handle bars it only bounced once off the steering stop once rather than back and forth a couple times. I guess my flick was more of a toss than a flick ( just don't know my own strength sometimes :whistling:). Anyway I remember it doing the sway thing at the time and backing the nut off to were it just stopped. When I replaced the E-II's with E-III's the sway came back. I guess it was still too tight. So while on the center stand, I noticed although the steering head moved smoothly it was very tight so I adjusted the bearings to a point of 0 lash but without any perceptible bearing play (almost like a set of wheel bearings minus the .001" bearing lash. and now Ben and bike are Happy campers. :thumbsup2: PS a visual inspection and fresh grease are forth coming in the near future but for now I believe I am in good shape.