IGNORED

How much force to seperate upper and lower fork tube?

Working on replacing fork seals on my '87 Venture.

removed lower bolts in each tube (10mm)

removed top cap and spacers, spring etc.

removed dust cap, wire spring retainer thing and washer loosed and held up out of the way.

upper fork tubes still clamped in at top.

Per every instruction I can find on the 'net, I should just be able to whack down with the lower tube in slide hammer fashion and it should come off after several good whacks.

I'm wailing away on this thing and not seeing any progress.

Do I just keep at it, or did i miss something?

I'm afraid I'll pull it off the blocks and center stand if I keep this up.

:think:

They usually need several sharp whacks. With the fork still on the bike you'll want to make sure the bike isn't giving a little - that will reduce the effectiveness of your hammering.

Be careful on the return stroke. You don't want to bang them closed or you might damage the anti-dive.

There's nothin left up top except the seals that I can see, but I'll check again to be sure. I got the bottom bolts out.

The bike is giving a little because I don't have it blocked real tight up front. It will rock a little on the center stand.

I'll tighten that up and give it another go.

There's nothin left up top except the seals that I can see, but I'll check again to be sure. I got the bottom bolts out.

The bike is giving a little because I don't have it blocked real tight up front. It will rock a little on the center stand.

I'll tighten that up and give it another go.

There is one bolt on bottom that matter, not bolts. It is at very bottom of lower tube. Allen head socket screw. It is in same axis as upper tube. You have to look up into pocket at bottom of tube. Axle hole goes through this pocket & bolt head is above axle centerline. Hard to see if you don't know it is there.

Gary

Sorry to not have made that clearer.

By bolts, I meant each one in each lower tube.

Both of them.

I remember them well. I made the all thread damper holder tool and bought a new Allen wrench set for the 10mm, then proceeded to hoping that sudden snap when loosening it was loosening and not breakage. That was unnerving.

I got them out (one from each fork, with brass washer).

Ok. I got the lower tubes off, but not without slamming the tube into the concrete floor with my index finger going with it, tearing through the top of my fingernail. Never done that before.

I can get over that alright, but more importantly, I'm now missing one of the super thin washers.

I've swept a 6' x 12' section of the yard with a 3" magnet, adjacent to the carport where I'm working. Found nothing. I suppose I'll fire up the metal detector, when I figure out where the kids stashed it.

The rest of the washers all fell within a one foot radius is of the bottom of the upper tube.

Maybe someone lost it in a previous life?

Should that provide fruitless, is there chance of finding a local substitute or will I have to order one specialty washer to finish the job?