IGNORED

question about 650 V-Star

mcgwire723

Guys, this post is off the RSV topic but I would appreciate any help with this.

I have a 2000 650 VStar Classic, It is super hard to start. Here is what I have done so far: New NGK plugs, fresh gas with Seafoam, new fuel filter, disassembled, cleaned, and kitted carbs, installed K&N air filter, synced carbs, adjusted valves, changed engine and final drive oil.

Bike is stock except the K&N filter and I think it has pipes put on but unsure of maker.

Now for the weird (to me) part: once it is started it idles great and runs awesome, and it will start easy for the rest of the day,its just the first starting that is super hard.

Thanks for any help :confused24:

Give us a little more info on how you do get it started. Full choke, little choke. lots of throttle movement etc. Also has it always been like that ? Slowly started ? Woke up one day realizing it wasn't a Venture and continues to throw a hissy fit tantrum ?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Guest tx2sturgis

By 'super hard to start', do you mean its cranking rapidly for awhile and the engine is not firing? Or do you mean it cranks slowly, like its dragging? Or a weak battery?

If its the former, it does make me think its a shortage of fuel in the carb bowls in the morning.

If the latter, it may be an electrical problem...starter, battery, or ignition.

Several years ago (Aprox 5) I had a similar problem with a 650 vstar. It turned out to be the stator going bad. Don't recall the procedure for testing, but if I remember correctly I found the info needed on a delphi forum for vstars 650's, 650ccnd.com I believe, hope that helps.

Best of luck, Mel

I have determined that I believe its a weak battery, I have one ordered, Ill post a followup after it arrives.

The way I determined it was by hooking a 100A jump start box to it and it fired right off, looks pretty obvious now.

Just took my sons 650 v-star in to get it looked at. Bad time for me right now to be looking at a bike. Time to start farming.....His bike had a new battery late last summer, and over the winter it was kept in heated garage with battery tender on it. He went to ride it on sunday and battery was completely flat (tender was still hooked to it too). I hooked a 15 amp charger to it and left it on all day. I went out next morning and tried to start it, it turned over for a few seconds but the starter doesnt sound good at all, not from a weak battery either. Im guessing the battery problem is from the starter, so we'll see. Time to be a farmer so the dealer is gonna get some business I guess. Dealer said they hope to get to it tomorrow, so if I hear of something out of the ordinary I'll pass it on to you.....