IGNORED

Test ride on the streets!

Man O Man what a bike!

Went out of the little' hood I live in of connected dead end streets out to some local twistys and up hills/down hills and straight-a-ways. Twist the throttle and before you know it the meter says 85 MPH! Smooth as silk, quiet as flowing oil!

The rear brake sucks; it still has air in it.

The front brake had the lever tied back all night, I don't think there's any air in that puppy!

Went to the local gas station and put 2 something gallons in it.

Drove for I guess 5 or 6 miles and the temp gauge didn't move, now I think it should have considering the load on the motor. Coolant has been weeping out the valve on the front of the radiator a bit so I know it's low but the bottle is still 1/2 full... could I have pulled a connection to the temp gauge apart while fooling with the Ignition wires or around the triple tree? Could low water cause it NOT to sense temp?

The motor surges a bit (but not when you get on it so much) maybe fuel filter?

Just where should the choke lever be positioned? It seems to like the choke on a bit rather than full off; even when it should have been plenty warmed up not to need any choke IMHO.

This is way different than the Road Star, this bike is like a Big easy chair with a 426 Hemi under the:12101: seat cushion!

You didn't mention what year Venture you're working on, but from your profile I 'assume' that it's a Mk I. I suppose if it's cool out and you didn't do any sitting still, you may have left the thermostat bypass valve (front of motor) in the bypass position. However, even with it in the bypass position, if you're sitting still the gauge will move up off of the stop. Normally the gauge starts moving within the first 2-3 minutes after you start riding. Another posibility is that the wire that connects to the temperature sender is loose or came off. The connector used on the Mk I does loosen up and on my 83 I have had to tighten the connector with a pair of needle nose pliers. The temperature sender is underneath the right fairing lower, and the wire connected to it is green with a red stripe. If you turn the key ON and ground the wire, the temperature gauge should move up to full scale (top of red band). Carefully touch the side of one of the cylinders and see how warm it is. After a couple of minutes it should be HOT. If it's only warm, maybe the bypass is on or the thermostat has failed in the open position. Make sure the radiator (not the expansion tank) is full before running the bike.

After they warm up for a couple of minute, Mk I Ventures run normally with the choke full OFF. Give it a heavy dose of SeaFoam or Berrymans and see if that helps get the crud from the carbs. If it's cool (50 degrees) and the bike hasn't been run for a while, both of my bikes tend to bog at first when you open the throttle quickly.

You didn't mention what year Venture you're working on, but from your profile I 'assume' that it's a Mk I. I suppose if it's cool out and you didn't do any sitting still, you may have left the thermostat bypass valve (front of motor) in the bypass position. However, even with it in the bypass position, if you're sitting still the gauge will move up off of the stop. Normally the gauge starts moving within the first 2-3 minutes after you start riding. Another posibility is that the wire that connects to the temperature sender is loose or came off. The connector used on the Mk I does loosen up and on my 83 I have had to tighten the connector with a pair of needle nose pliers. The temperature sender is underneath the right fairing lower, and the wire connected to it is green with a red stripe. If you turn the key ON and ground the wire, the temperature gauge should move up to full scale (top of red band). Carefully touch the side of one of the cylinders and see how warm it is. After a couple of minutes it should be HOT. If it's only warm, maybe the bypass is on or the thermostat has failed in the open position. Make sure the radiator (not the expansion tank) is full before running the bike.

After they warm up for a couple of minute, Mk I Ventures run normally with the choke full OFF. Give it a heavy dose of SeaFoam or Berrymans and see if that helps get the crud from the carbs. If it's cool (50 degrees) and the bike hasn't been run for a while, both of my bikes tend to bog at first when you open the throttle quickly.

It's the 83 XVZ12DKC2 The title says 83 but Yamaha says 84. I put a whole can of Seafoam in the full tank last night. I left the radiator valve in the on pos. so when I changed it the temp gauge worked. I couldn't turn on the cruise because I couldn't find the switch! the markings are all rubbed off! I went out there and turned it on, the green light on the "meter" comes on along with a little "click" sound from below the battery.

I have 2 sets of "remote switches" on the left handle bar, for MUTE and TUNE; I see only one in the owner's manual I wonder what the other is. I don't think that extra one was installed by Yamaha unless they are for the CB?

I noticed the 83 does not have the valves to manually pressure up or depressurize the CLASS system, my 1985 model has a valve by the ignition switch, the book also shows one integrated with the "ride firmness" selector; the 85 doesn't have one there.

My CLASS Controller on the 83 shows Error 1, when I plug in the controller from the 85 it shows error 3... I think there must be a bad connection someplace. I know a guy that solders circuit boards for a living; he said he's re-solder all the connections in both controllers and replace the diodes and capacitors in the Ign. module Anyone have a list of the values of the diodes and caps?

Edited by dna9656

Thanks all for the info! I haven't got to test the YICS yet, I ran outta steam! But I posted the following on the Venturers site.

It's the 83 XVZ12DKC2 The title says 83 but Yamaha says 84. I left the radiator valve in the on pos. so when I changed it the temp gauge worked. I couldn't turn on the cruise because I couldn't find the label on the switch! I went out there and turned it on, the green light on the "meter" comes on along with a little "click" sound from below the battery.

I have 2 sets of "remote switches" on the left handle bar, for MUTE and TUNE; I see only one in the owner's manual I wonder what the other is. I don't think that extra one was installed by Yamaha unless they are for the CB?

I noticed the 83 does not have the valves to manually pressure up or depressurize the CLASS system, my 1985 model has a valve by the ignition switch, the book also shows on integrated with the "ride firmness" selector; my 85 doesn't have one there.

My class shows Error 1, when I plug in the controller from the 85 it shows error 3... I think there must be a bad connection someplace. I know a guy that solders circuit boards for a living; he said he's re-solder all the connections in both controllers and replace the diodes and capacitors in the Ign. module.

Anyone have a list of the values of the diodes and caps in the Ign. module?

Does anyone have a number for a generic fuel filter that'll work on the 83? That Yamaha filter is too expensive.

I noticed the 83 does not have the valves to manually pressure up or depressurize the CLASS system, my 1985 model has a valve by the ignition switch, the book also shows on integrated with the "ride firmness" selector; my 85 doesn't have one there.

Doug, both of your bikes are Royales. All Royales came with CLASS. A CLASS equipped bike will not have any Schrade air valves. All First Generation Ventures (Standard and Royale) have a rear shock dampening adjustment knob; the Standard also has a Schrade air valve mounted on the same plate as the dampening adjustment adjuster, the Royale will not.

Is the rear shock dampening adjuster still on your '85? Is the cable still connected to the rear shock? If not, perhaps someone has removed the stock rear shock dampening adjuster; maybe even swapped out the stock shock for something else entirely?

Is the Schrade valve near the ignition switch connected to the rear shock or to the front forks?

If a PO was having difficulties with the CLASS, he may have installed a non-air adjustable shock on the rear and also disconnected the CLASS compressor from the front forks and utilized a Schrade valve to manually air up the forks. Is the CLASS compressor and solenoid valves still installed? (Look under the black plastic cover under the trunk carrier.)

Doug, both of your bikes are Royales. All Royales came with CLASS. A CLASS equipped bike will not have any Schrade air valves. All First Generation Ventures (Standard and Royale) have a rear shock dampening adjustment knob; the Standard also has a Schrade air valve mounted on the same plate as the dampening adjustment adjuster, the Royale will not.

Is the rear shock dampening adjuster still on your '85? Is the cable still connected to the rear shock? If not, perhaps someone has removed the stock rear shock dampening adjuster; maybe even swapped out the stock shock for something else entirely?

Is the Schrade valve near the ignition switch connected to the rear shock or to the front forks?

If a PO was having difficulties with the CLASS, he may have installed a non-air adjustable shock on the rear and also disconnected the CLASS compressor from the front forks and utilized a Schrade valve to manually air up the forks. Is the CLASS compressor and solenoid valves still installed? (Look under the black plastic cover under the trunk carrier.)

The CLASS controller is there; I will have to go take off the seat to confirm the whereabouts of the compressor. I don't know if the valve up front is connected to anything yet. One thing is for sure" The PO has no CLASS; High or low.

Edited by dna9656

Here is the skid plate I found under the motor when I got it under some light.

The oil filter cover is abraded away too. I'll post a picture of that later. There is a buzzard turd of a weld under the oil filter, hence the skid plate. I just can't imagine a 1200 CC, 700 lbs. Dirt Bike can you?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk195/dna9656/IMG_0232.jpg

Here's the compressor on the 83. Note the extension or f the hot wire for the L/H rear blinker; just left of center at the top. I installed a couple more inches of wire using butt connectors so it would stay plugged in!

The compressor comes on when you hot wire it.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk195/dna9656/IMG_0228.jpg

Edited by dna9656

Well this is the THIRD time I will try to post here. I'm getting pretty frustrated with trying to post on this site.

I do not know if the forward located valve is connected yet.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk195/dna9656/IMG_0229.jpg

The rear dampening adjuster is still on the 85 (the one with the front air valve; I'm getting tired of spelling "schrader") Don't know if it's hooked up. I have been concentrating on the 83. I think the 85 will turn into a parts source.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk195/dna9656/IMG_0224.jpg

I don't know yet if the compressor is still on the 85.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk195/dna9656/IMG_0221.jpg