IGNORED

New question ,, TDC on engine and cams ??

Note that front cam setup differs from rear setup.

I attached service manual PDF of cam install pages only.

Doesn't matter for cams, but post what year your bike is when you ask questions, often helps as answer may vary somewhat on year. If you become a full member you can post it in your display header.

Gary

1986-1993-Yamaha Venture Cam install.pdf

Hey thanks to both of you for the info.. Sorry about the year of the bike thing. It is a 1983 if that makes a difference.

I cannot make a definate decision on what it could be. I pulled the head and the layered head gasket came apart in three pieces. I am kind of leaning toward the gasket . The rings seem ok because I filled the cylinder with PB Blaster and it stayed full a pretty long time without leaking down. I didn't see any obvious problems with the head but I plan on taking to a machine shop to do a leak down test and cleanup. Any advice since I got it apart ?? I can take pics if you like..

Hey thanks to both of you for the info.. Sorry about the year of the bike thing. It is a 1983 if that makes a difference.

I cannot make a definate decision on what it could be. I pulled the head and the layered head gasket came apart in three pieces. I am kind of leaning toward the gasket . The rings seem ok because I filled the cylinder with PB Blaster and it stayed full a pretty long time without leaking down. I didn't see any obvious problems with the head but I plan on taking to a machine shop to do a leak down test and cleanup. Any advice since I got it apart ?? I can take pics if you like..

What I have done to see if valves are seated after I reassemble head is to put plugs in head tight. Set head upside down on bench, level as possible. Then fill combustion chamber area with liquid, I have used gasoline, but then I am an idiot some say, and see if leaks through valves. You want a thin liquid, not an oil.

Head gaskets are normally three layers. If you had blown gasket it would be fairly obvious I would think> almost has to blow into water jacket. Very rare to hear of this happening on a Venture, happens a little more often in VMax motors, which are very similar.

Gary

Man this engine is killing me , I can't find what is wrong with the cylinder. I checked the head with it upside down filled with fuel and nothing , it didn't leak down. I can't find the leak in the head gasket and the piston rings don't seem stuck or broken. I am at a loss. For the compression to be as low as it was and to smoke as bad as it did I would fighure it should be pretty easy to find.. :confused24:

Hate to say it but it may be time to pull the engine and split the case and inspect the rings! This can be turned into a good thing as with the '83, '84, and early '85 there is a 2nd gear issue that needs to be addressed that you could verify and fix at this point rather than a future point...

How big a pain in the butt is it to take the engine out and break the case ??

It's fairly involved, strip all the plastic off the bike, pull the exhaust completely off, a fair amount of disconnecting some wires and break the LS frame support apart and the motor is out....here's a thread about doing 2nd gear which shows the motor coming out.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=508

I think I am going to reassemble the enging and hope the head gasket was the problem.. Anyway thanks to everybody for the info links. I must be some kind of a dumb A$$ but I can't make heads or tails of the setup on the cam timing. I get the crank lineup but am lost with sprocket and cam locations. Also the cam caps were setup on my front cylinder in a different order than the rear head cap locations. Mine were on the head and were number e1 e2 e3 e4 I1 I2 I3 I4 from left side of the head to right. That is sitting on the bike looking down at the head. Any real world experiences and advice would be appreciated..

Joe,

I think I would just get it back together and ride it. I have seen smoking engines that have been setting free up with some use and fly right. Perhaps run some Marvel Mystery oil in it, both fuel and crankcase. If there is a sticky ring or such it very well may just free up and not give you another issue...:2cents:

You need a Delorian with a flux capacitor to do that...

That;s funny, LOL

Correct me if I am wrong here but without ever taking the sprokets off the cam shafts , I get my engine on tdc for #2 and line up the big holes with the cam cap marks ?? Like the picture I took of the head off the bike ?? Thanks,

That;s funny, LOL

Correct me if I am wrong here but without ever taking the sprokets off the cam shafts , I get my engine on tdc for #2 and line up the big holes with the cam cap marks ?? Like the picture I took of the head off the bike ?? Thanks,

That looks correct.

It is very important that your starting point for rotating crank to T2 location start with the crank at T1 location, and cams on rear head have

timing mark aligned with small holes pointed up. You MUST rotate crank 430 degrees, you will pass T2 mark once. Reason being is crank turns 2 revolutions for every 1 revolution of cams. If you do not do this, front cams will be 180 degrees out of time, and valves will crash into pistons.

Gary

Next task is follow the thread linked below. This will help us help you.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=823738#post823738

You can also go to my profile page and look at albums I have for some pictures of what can be done to a Venture if you have time & patience. Hybrid is still a work in progress, but it will be purdy when it leaves garage.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/member.php?u=5971

Gary